2023 Offseason

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

2023 Offseason

Postby Logitano on Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:12 pm

Should I stay or should I go now... :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Re: 2023 Offseason

Postby claver2010 on Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:30 am

@MarkDivver
Jacob Bengtsson of Lake Superior State is in the transfer portal. Six-foot-three defenseman is a two-time Hobey Baker Award nominee

bc appears to be favorite
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:43 pm

nesterenko gone, not shocking
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:24 am

Somewhat surprised Gauthier hasn't signed with the Flyers at this point. Flyers shitcanned most of their front office a week ago and Danny Briere needs a win if he is going to hold onto the GM role. I wonder if Gauthier is apprehensive about playing for Torts. Kreider had a rocky relationship with Torts at times and he isn't exactly known as the nurturing type for teenage players.

Would be huge for BC if he came back for one more year, but in today's NHL it seems unlikely.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Logitano on Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:02 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Somewhat surprised Gauthier hasn't signed with the Flyers at this point. Flyers shitcanned most of their front office a week ago and Danny Briere needs a win if he is going to hold onto the GM role. I wonder if Gauthier is apprehensive about playing for Torts. Kreider had a rocky relationship with Torts at times and he isn't exactly known as the nurturing type for teenage players.

Would be huge for BC if he came back for one more year, but in today's NHL it seems unlikely.

This. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:53 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:nesterenko gone, not shocking

Selfishly, I wish he had stayed. He was really putting his game together as the year went on.

With that said, hopefully he makes the Ducks next year, as the difference in salary is huge. Given their horrible record, maybe he will have more of a chance to play. Great to see a 6th round pick develop and get paid to go for his dream.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/nikita-nesterenko
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:58 pm

Mitch Andres and Liam Izyk in the portal, 1 year of eligibility each.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby Logitano on Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:51 am

BostonCollege1 {l Wrote}:Mitch Andres and Liam Izyk in the portal, 1 year of eligibility each.

Well, bye. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:22 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
BostonCollege1 {l Wrote}:Mitch Andres and Liam Izyk in the portal, 1 year of eligibility each.

Well, bye. :ace

I assume they were thanked for their hard work, congratulated on earning valuable degrees, and wished the best of luck on securing a 5th year somewhere so they can work towards masters degrees.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:43 am

from the kid https://thebostoncollegehockeyblog.blog ... oster.html

going to be a completely different roster next year

Gauthier is still a bit of an unknown, but the odds favor him returning. Like I said last week, there is a lot of turmoil in Philadelphia right now, so it may take some time for that all to be worked out. If I were a betting man, I would bet on Gauthier playing one more season at BC, but it is not set in stone.

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:03 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
@MarkDivver
Jacob Bengtsson of Lake Superior State is in the transfer portal. Six-foot-three defenseman is a two-time Hobey Baker Award nominee

bc appears to be favorite

Confirmed to bc
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:27 pm

@FriedgeHNIC
Hearing Cutter Gauthier, drafted 5th overall by PHI in 2022, will return to Boston College for his sophomore season. Don’t think this is a huge surprise, and seen as the right move for his development.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:06 pm

During this era of futility at least I can find some joy in watching BU get pantsed. Also wondering why Pandolfo hasn’t come out of the closet. Everyone knows he’s gay—he and Bobby LaChance were the hockey version of Brokeback Mountain—and who knows, it would probably help him land an NHL gig.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:37 am

great game saturday night capping a great tournament.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:41 am

seems like plan is to keep big line together when they show up to campus

https://theathletic.com/4420441/2023/04 ... ill-smith/

Will Smith, the 2023 NHL Draft’s ankle-breaker, is just scratching the surface
By Scott Wheeler
8h ago

Save Article
BASEL, Switzerland — The first time Will Smith showed up at the Boston Sports Performance Center in Wellesley Hills, Mass, in the fall of 2020, the gym’s director, Joe Van Allen, was “not overwhelmed” by what he saw.

It was the heart of COVID, and the 15-year-old kid was about to begin his first season at St. Sebastian’s School, an independent, all-boys school in Needham, Mass. when he showed up with a small group of his teammates. Van Allen had just wrapped up 18 seasons with the dynastic New England Patriots, winning six Super Bowls as their strength and conditioning coach. His experience working with hockey players was limited to his son’s hockey and his own hockey as a house league player as a little guy growing up in Chicago.

Before Smith got into the gym, Van Allen got a look at him on the turf. Before he’d shown up, he kept hearing the same thing.

“Oh, that kid’s sick out on the ice.”

“He’s sick.”

“You should see that kid on the ice.”

Though Van Allen didn’t see it at the time, three years later he knows exactly what everyone was talking about.

Today, Smith is a star — the star — at USA Hockey’s national development program and a potential top-five pick in the 2023 NHL Draft, with ankle-breaking hands and the speed and playmaking to be a star at the next level someday soon, too.

Today, everyone’s overwhelmed by what they see.

(Rena Laverty / U.S. NTDP)
Believe it or not, no one in Will Smith’s family ever played hockey. He got into the sport through one of his dad’s friends, bugging him from the age of five to help get him into house league, and constantly asking him to bring jerseys over to the house so that he could run around in them and play pretend.

As soon as he started playing, though, there was no going back. Everything came naturally to him on the ice. It always has.

That was true with the Boston Jr. Eagles AAA program, where he and longtime friend and teammate Will Vote made everything look easy. It was true at St. Sebastian’s. It has been true for the last two years at the national program. And those around him are certain that it will be true next year at Boston College and beyond in the NHL for whichever team selects him this June in Nashville.

In his first year at the national program, his 37 points in 35 games with the under-17 team made him the most productive player. He also registered another 27 points in 28 games playing up a year with the under-18 team, again the most among the 2005-born players who played up.

This year, he has centered the under-18 team’s first line, with wingers Ryan Leonard and Gabe Perreault, since Day 1. Together, they’ve formed the most-productive line in the history of the program. Smith has played to above two points per game, and was named MVP of the BioSteel All-American Game along the way.

This week, he has kicked off his last hurrah before the draft with 11 points (four goals, seven assists) through his first three games of U18 Worlds in Switzerland. With as many as four games left to play in his season, his 118 points in 56 games is now the second-most productive season in the history of the NTDP. On Saturday, he passed Jack Hughes with a four-point night against Norway. On Sunday, he passed Auston Matthews with a five-point, player-of-the-game showing against Finland.

The latter performance was punctuated with one of the goals of the tournament, attacking one-on-three through the Finnish defence to score.

When it was over, the under-18 team’s head coach, Dan Muse, called his game, in the biggest game of the tournament so far, simply “outstanding.”

And the brilliant individual effort on his goal? That’s just what he does.

“I think he recognizes when guys don’t have great gaps on him, or maybe they’re taking a bad angle,” Muse said. “And we want to play a winning brand of hockey, we talk to our guys about that all the time, and so do they, but we also want to keep their sticks in their hands and their brains in their heads and they’ve got to play hockey. These are the top players in the world. And one of the things with Will, and Gabe (Perreault), and (Oliver Moore), and (Ryan Leonard) is those guys recognize situations a lot better now too. It’s not just doing it for the sake of doing it.”

When Smith was asked postgame about the play, and whether he feels he can score on any play, he smiled.

“I was thinking about chipping it in because my legs were gassed and then I kind of looked up and I said ‘Why not?’ and then I sort of just threw it to a hole and it went in,” Smith said. “I mean, I feel comfortable going into any situation. I didn’t want to make a stupid play on a one-on-three at the end of a shift, but luckily it worked out.”

Plays like those, which he has made again and again this season, have made him NHL Central Scouting’s third-ranked North American skater behind only Connor Bedard and Adam Fantilli.

Smith calls himself an “offensive talent that makes everyone on my line better,” prides himself in making the right plays with the puck, finding the open guy, and says his biggest strengths are his hockey IQ, his shot, his hands and his skating. He wants to round out his game by becoming a more frequent penalty killer in college next year, and believes he can be a threat offensively while short-handed because he knows the way opposing forwards think and has the skating and the skill to capitalize.

The shot and hands were honed in a shooting room at his suburban Boston home, where he spends most of his days in the summer blasting music and taking rep, after rep, after rep, sometimes with his dad feeding him pucks. The hockey IQ, he says, has always been in him, but has been honed in Boston skates led by renowned skills coach Adam Nicholas — and opposite NHL players like Matt Boldy, Alex Newhook and Kevin Hayes.

Muse called his skillset “obvious to see” in a conversation with The Athletic earlier this year.

“His hockey sense and the ability to anticipate the next play and what the defenders are going to do in order to manipulate defenders just with the head fakes and the general deception, he combines it to make himself a player that’s really hard to play against and a guy who can really create space for himself and his teammates,” Muse said. “Then you combine that with the skillset that he has and he can execute plays whether it’s in tight areas or in time and space. He just does such a good job getting to that space in order to position himself to make it harder to play against.”

His patented head and shoulder fakes to send defenders the wrong way have also been honed in his basement, though others have tried to take credit.

“My mom (Colleen) says she was the one that built (the fakes) into me when I was a young kid on the couch and she would always throw balls at me,” Smith said, chuckling. “It might be that but a lot of it came in the basement just working on it.”

When he talks about it, he can’t help but demonstrate it.

“On the ice, if I see a defender and I’m looking that way,” he told The Athletic earlier this year, looking left while he said it, “he’s going to have a little question on what to do so that once I make one quick move now I have three steps on him and now I have an open shot. That’s one thing that’s huge as you get older: you need that extra and you get it through deception.”

Next year, he’ll get to show off that deception when he becomes the 14th member of his family to attend Boston College, joining his sister Grace, who will be a senior studying biology, in Chestnut Hill, Mass., on a campus he says he has grown up visiting since he was a baby. All of Perreault, Leonard and Vote, as well as teammates Drew Fortescue and Aram Minnetian, will join him, too.

Brendan Buckley, the Eagles’ associate head coach (who has watched Smith for years because his nephew is an ’05), can hardly wait.

For Smith.

“(Smith) can really skate, he’s got high, high-end skill, he can really shoot the puck, he’s got a quick release, and he loves to be a disher as well,” Buckley said. (And) he has it (the puck) a lot. And he sees what’s happening around him. When he gets going, he doesn’t drop his head and then lift it and go ‘Oh s—.’ It’s up the whole way.”

And for the entire line, and the potential to try them together as a full-time freshman trio in college hockey.

“They’re fun to watch. They seem to be on the same page on the ice, they make good reads off of each other, so I’m excited and the whole staff is excited to get them in in the fall and see what they can do in an Eagles jersey. And usually in college you’re getting guys from tons of different teams and it takes a while for them to get used to each other. This particular group will be right on the same page right away,” Buckley added.

“When they’re playing together, they do really play well together. I think the biggest thing from watching them play is they can all play with pace. It’s not like they want to always slow it down. And I think that’s why they’ve had so much success is because they’re a lot to handle, they’re quick, and they can all make high-end plays while skating.”

Smith jokes that he, Perreault and Leonard “wouldn’t be mad” if they stuck together, either. He also jokes that he “definitely put in some work to get Gabe (the last of the three to commit) there.” He, Leonard and Vote have even lived together while at the program, sharing a house in nearby Novi, Mich., with Colleen and Vote’s mom rotating in and out every two weeks to stay with them.

They already spend all of their time together, hitting the local bowling alley or the steam room at the local Life Time Fitness whenever they’re not at the rink or on the road together.

On the ice, they’re constantly looking for one another, so much so that they know they can overpass.

“If we have a shot, we’re going to score, but giving them an open net always feels nice,” Smith said. “We love being and playing together. We’re really good buddies and me, Gabe and Leonard all work really well together. Me and Gabe, we think together almost the same, we always know where each other are going to be. And then Leonard can get into the corners and get the puck, and he’s a strong kid, and then when he doesn’t have the puck he’s always finding open areas for a shot and when he finds open areas we find him and he buries it. We all have our little thing that contributes to the line.”

(Rena Laverty / U.S. NTDP)
Three years after Van Allen was a little surprised by what he saw in his introduction to Smith on his turf, he no longer talks about him in the same way.

When he returned for his first full offseason of training after his year at St. Sebastian’s, Van Allen noticed a difference — a greater focus and maturity — right away in Smith, who was preparing to head off to the NTDP.

“He wasn’t one of the guys in the back losing focus and whatnot. He was starting to dial it in. It was fun to see,” Van Allen recalled. “You’re watching a little kid really grow up in front of you to the young man that he is now.”

At the start of last summer, after his under-17 year at the program, Van Allen then pulled him aside to tell him “Look, you’ve been here for a little bit now, I expect you to lead this group. People look up to you.”

Smith rose to that challenge, too, joining Van Allen’s college group because that’s where his skill level now was on the ice. As the summer progressed, he caught up quickly on the turf and in the racks, too, and “definitely held his own around a handful of athletes who are in their early-to-mid-20s.”

“He has made very nice gains in his time with us. And that’s a testament to their program out there in Michigan, too. You start to see some power output on the turf. Now you’re not saying ‘This kid’s a kid’ anymore,” Van Allen said. “You’re watching a little kid really grow up in front of you to the young man that he is now. It’s so cool to see athletes with the trajectory such as Will’s and to see him realizing the progress over time. He comes in ready to work every day. There’s never a day where he’s just not feeling it. And there’s always a level of confidence, even when in our space there wasn’t much reason for one at the start. I’m sure that comes from the athlete that he has always been on the ice.”

After 90-minute sessions four days a week, and continued work with national team strength coach Brian Gallivan, Smith is now listed at six feet and 181 pounds.

At the program, Smith has put in similar work to round out his game on the ice as he has in the gym, too.

“He’s a guy too where his play away from the puck, just in the time that he has been here, has really come a long way and it’s something that he has really worked on,” Muse said. “And because he has put the work in, he has made some really big strides there. It’s something he probably doesn’t get enough credit for but it has really come a long way.”

His next evolution? He wants to become a penalty killer in college.

“I want to be out there. You can still be a threat even when you’re down five-on-four, especially knowing how guys are on the power play I know how to read them,” Smith said.

This is all just the beginning for Smith, according to Van Allen, too. He’s a long way from being a finished product. He’s still got room to get stronger, and even faster than he already is.

“Now Will’s into that developmental phase I think where he’s going to be able to start to put on some quality muscle mass,” Van Allen said. “And hockey’s so different from football where you’re not fighting to put on every pound of muscle that you can. In hockey, you’re trying to find balance and he’s going to be able to come into his skates so to speak.

I’ve really enjoyed watching him move along in his journey. Couldn’t happen to a better guy. It’ll be fun to watch him continue down his path.”
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:10 am

nice night for the incoming kids, will smith #4 highest drafted eagle in history and the last bc ranger 1st rounder turned out pretty good...

the kid also has info on bc filling a newly added asst role:

One last bit of news- I am hearing that BC will be hiring a third assistant within the next few days. Under a new NCAA rule, programs can have an additional paid assistant starting this fall. According to my sources, BC will be hiring Brent Darnell, who was most recently the NTDP assistant director of player personnel. Darnell recently selected the most recent crop of 2007 birthdates to the National Program and is a Michigan State alum. With Brendan Buckley staying put after going through the process at Bentley, BC now has their full coaching staff in place for the upcoming season.

http://thebostoncollegehockeyblog.blogs ... notes.html

some scouting from pronman on the incoming FR:

4. San Jose Sharks: William Smith, C, USA U-18 (NTDP)

March 17, 2005 | 6′ 0″ | 180 pounds

Tier: NHL All-Star

Player comparable: Evgeny Kuznetsov

Background: Smith is the No. 1 center and leading player on this year’s U.S. NTDP team. He has been one of the most productive players ever in their U18 season with the program. Smith was invited to USA’s world juniors camp but was cut. He was named the MVP of the 2023 U18 World Championships. He is committed to Boston College.

Analysis: Smith is a dynamic offensive player who stands out every game with his talent. He has tremendous puck skills, vision and overall offensive creativity and projects to be a major asset on an NHL power play. He skates well and makes so many high-difficulty plays at a strong pace, which lends well to his pro projection. Smith is a high-end passer who is also able to finish chances from the dots. The only real wart in his game is I wouldn’t call him an overly physical or high-energy player. I don’t think he lacks effort. He’s around the puck a ton whenever he’s on the ice and even at times killed penalties for the program.

Thoughts on the pick: In Will Smith, the Sharks get a potential No. 1 center of the futute. He’s a dynamic player with his skill, vision and pace, a player who would be in the No. 1/No. 2 pick conversation in a number of recent drafts. The Sharks have a long road ahead to turn their organization around, but Smith becomes the most important component to their future.

8. Washington Capitals: Ryan Leonard, RW, USA U-18 (NTDP)

January 21, 2005 | 6′ 0″ | 190 pounds

Tier: Bubble top and middle of the lineup player

Player comparable: Artturi Lehkonen

Background: Leonard has often been the top-line right wing on the U.S. NTDP playing a ton of minutes in all situations. He was invited to USA’s world juniors camp but was cut. He scored the golden goal in overtime at the 2023 U18 worlds. He played the most out of all the 2005-born players with the 2004 age group in the 2022 season. Leonard scored five goals and six points in five games at the 2022 U18 World Championships. He is committed to Boston College.

Analysis: Leonard is a versatile winger with a lot of elements to his game that an NHL coach will covet. He’s a strong skater who competes very well, with a direct style of play and despite an average-sized frame he has a lot of physicality in his game. He combines that with excellent hands and an ability to make highly skilled plays with the puck at full speed. His playmaking isn’t great but there’s vision and finishing ability in his game to score at higher levels. Leonard may never truly stand out at either end of the ice, but he will never give a coach a reason to sit him and projects as a quality top-six wing.

Thoughts on the pick: Leonard is a very good all-around and competitive forward. He’s not dynamic with the puck, but he has excellent skill and scoring ability as well. What I think Washington fans will also like is how physically advanced he is, and there is potential for him to be in Washington in two to three years due to that and his complete game.

23. New York Rangers: Gabriel Perreault, RW, USA U-18 (NTDP)

May 7, 2005 | 5′ 11″ | 163 pounds

Tier: Bubble top and middle of the lineup player

Player comparable: Lucas Raymond

Background: Perreault is the first-line wing for the U.S. NTDP this season. He’s had one of the highest point-per-game rates in the program’s history this season and broke Auston Matthews’ single season point record, which was shortly followed by teammate Will Smith breaking it as well. He is the brother of Anaheim 2020 first-round pick Jacob Perreault and the son of former NHL player Yanic Perreault. He is committed to Boston College.

Analysis: Perreault is an extremely skilled and intelligent winger who can make a ton of positive things happen inside the offensive zone. Perreault makes highly-creative and unique dekes and passes with the puck at a high rate, both off the perimeter and in small areas. His puck game is clear NHL power-play quality, and he will score as a pro. The issues on Perreault’s game is his 5-foot-11 frame and his lack of footspeed. He shows good second effort and can win puck battles at the junior level, although whether he can do that versus men is a concern. His hockey sense is so elite though that I think he can overcome those issues and become a very good top six winger.

Thoughts on the pick: Perreault is one of the most skilled and intelligent players in the draft. I thought he’d go higher, but his frame, a barely 5-foot-11 winger who is skinny, combined with his subpar skating, gave a lot of NHL scouts pause despite his tremendous offensive abilities, so I’m not stunned he got to No. 23. He has a long way to go to look like an NHL player, but he has the talent to be a top six wing for the Rangers down the line. In an ideal world, the Rangers would have added size, and they wouldn’t have picked another wing, but Perreault was too much talent to pass up at this point in the draft for them.

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Return to Kelley Rink