2022 Offseason

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

2022 Offseason

Postby claver2010 on Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:17 pm

Kanye jones to the portal
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: 2022 Offseason

Postby Logitano on Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:32 am

Strong rumor that Fred Scott is not getting an 8th year of eligibility and returning to the Heights. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:25 am

Thompson & Van der Baan along with Jones in the Portal.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:18 pm

makai is coming back for his 9th year
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:54 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:makai is coming back for his 9th year

Some reasonable depth at guard.

G - MAL, Zackery, Hand, Kelly
Wings - Demar, Prince
Bigs - Bickerstaff, Post

Anything they get from Almighty and McGlockton would be a bonus. We say this every year, but they need to find a wing and a 4 in the portal.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Primetime on Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:25 pm

Thompson back and practicing.

Guards: MAL, Zackery, Hand, Kelley
Wings: Langford, Aligbe, Thompson, McGlockton
Bigs: Post, Bickerstaff, Mighty

Two spots for transfers. Maybe a big and a guard.

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
·
Apr 5
Indiana transfer Michael Durr tells me that he's receiving interest from NC State, Arizona State, UCF, Boston College and Pitt.
Primetime
Carney Hall

Postby Logitano on Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:52 pm

Primetime {l Wrote}:Thompson back and practicing.

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
·
Apr 5
Indiana transfer Michael Durr tells me that he's receiving interest from NC State, Arizona State, UCF, Boston College and Pitt.

This. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:27 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:
Primetime {l Wrote}:Thompson back and practicing.

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
·
Apr 5

Brandon Johns?
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:10 pm

Brevin Galloway is leaving the program, despite having another yr of eligibility.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:19 pm

Transfer portal commitment:

Mason Madsen
https://twitter.com/336edits/status/1513988549904900109

SG, 6'4" 190....alleged 40+ inch vertical leap. Father coached him in HS.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... sen-1.html
https://gobearcats.com/sports/mens-bask ... dsen/10284
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:40 am

was a 20+ min player as FR then down to 10 as SO under new coach

shot 36% from 3 which should help
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:07 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:was a 20+ min player as FR then down to 10 as SO under new coach

shot 36% from 3 which should help

No downside at all to this. We could really use another shooter especially playing 'Cuse twice a year.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:11 am

bc / nova in newark next year
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Primetime on Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:32 am

Thompson back and practicing.

Thompson into the Portal. First visit down the road in Amherst with Frank Martin.

Wings: Langford, Aligbe, Madsen, McGlockton

Now back to two spots remaining. 5/1 is the deadline to declare for the Portal and keep eligibility for next year. Interested to see what Earl can do.
Primetime
Carney Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Thu May 19, 2022 10:31 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:bc / nova in newark next year

This is awesome.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu May 19, 2022 11:02 am

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:

This is awesome.

you just get out of jail or something?

i wonder if nova knew buttons was leaving before this was scheduled
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Thu May 19, 2022 12:21 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:

This is awesome.

you just get out of jail or something?

i wonder if nova knew buttons was leaving before this was scheduled

Just finished a long trial. I haven't visited the board for almost two months before today. Glad to be back.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu May 19, 2022 12:37 pm

are you johnny depp or amber heard?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Sat May 21, 2022 10:06 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:are you johnny depp or amber heard?

Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon May 23, 2022 8:37 am

earl interview in the athletic:

https://theathletic.com/3320900/2022/05 ... n-college/

Boston College’s Earl Grant on DeMarr Langford’s NBA future, recruiting and the ACC arms race

Mar 8, 2022; Brooklyn, NY, USA; Boston College Eagles head coach Earl Grant talks to his team during a time out during the first half against the Pittsburgh Panthers at Barclays Center. Mandatory Credit: Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports
By Brian Hamilton
49m ago
Save Article
Earl Grant, for the most part a lifelong Southeast Guy, doesn’t mind the seasons. Actually kind of likes them. He liked it when the weather got a little chippy during the few years he spent in south-central Kansas, and he didn’t think his first New England winter was all that bad, despite the warnings to batten down every available hatch.

“It’s one of those places when it snows,” Grant says, “the sun’s still out.”

There’s a metaphor in there somewhere for Boston College men’s basketball, a program long stumbling through blizzard conditions in the ACC, for which 45-year-old Grant is trying to provide some light.

And there have been flickers, anyway, toward the end of Grant’s first season at the helm and heading into an offseason where any developmental strides must be made. Thirteen wins in 2020-21 were no one’s idea of a rousing success … but a bit of a late-year revival ended with the Eagles one overtime loss away from the ACC tournament semifinals. Though there’s one significant stay-or-go decision yet to be officially made, it’s likely that Boston College will bring back its top three scorers and add a top 35-ish class of freshmen and transfers to the mix. Construction on the $50 million, 40,000-square-foot Hoag Basketball Pavilion began in March, a long-overdue resource for a team attempting to survive in the ACC.

“I know they probably needed to do that years ago,” Grant says, “but they’re doing it now.”

Again: The metaphors abound. So The Athletic spoke to Grant about more tangible basketball matters such as recruiting footprint, finding more shooting and the impact of a new athletic director after the departure of Patrick Kraft, plus much more.

In terms of advantages or challenges, what did you only find out about Boston College and the job of Boston College men’s basketball coach once you were in it?

There were maybe some more challenges that maybe people dealt with in the past. I know for me, there’s a $50 million facility that’s already started. I’ve been there for a year, and they’re working every day out there to get us a state-of-the-art practice facility — player lounge, weight room, coaches lounge, nutrition center. The atmosphere has shifted.

In terms of just day-to-day at Boston College, it’s an amazing city. We got great people we work with. I think every program deals with things, but I played Division II and junior college, so you kind of learn to use what you got. Most times, you got plenty. More than what you give yourself credit for. So I think we got a lot here. Obviously, with the new $50 million facility coming soon, that really helps us. But there isn’t any challenge that jumps out to me, where I didn’t know that before I got here. I pretty much knew what I was getting into. We played here when I was at Clemson for four straight years. I’d been coming to Boston for seven straight years (coaching in the CAA) to play Northeastern. So I kind of had a feel for the city and the school.

When that facility opens up where do you think that puts Boston College, in terms of that “arms race” in the ACC, at least?

Obviously it’s already helped us being out recruiting for 2022. Having that to sell, ‘Hey, this is your facility that you are going to experience,’ I think that helped us. In terms of the arms race, in a conference, whether it was my time at Wichita State, or Winthrop, or Clemson, College of Charleston, there’s some programs that are going to be considered at the top, there’s some that’s considered at the bottom, and then there’s a lot of them in the middle. I think that what that does for us is just put us in the mix of some of the best programs in the league on paper. In terms of what they say we have on paper, I think that put us right there in the middle.

But in terms of the arms race, we’re not going to ever have what some of these programs are going to have. We have to be OK with that. So that’s why it’s so important to be able to go out and evaluate kids that fit the DNA of our program, holistically. ‘There’s a good Boston College guy. There’s a good guy that would love to be in Boston. There’s a guy that would love to play in the ACC that maybe isn’t getting recruited by everybody in the league.’ The DNA of Boston College, the history of having a Reggie Jackson up here, a Jared Dudley, they didn’t have the whole ACC going after them. But those guys had a chip on their shoulder and they were tough. So I think that’s what we have to do because, yeah, we probably won’t have what the top four teams have. And that’s OK.

To that end, I remember talking to Pat Kraft a little bit after you were hired. His theory was, I want a guy who can recruit the ACC footprint, because that’s who we are. How has that evolved for you? How has that developed? When you look at where you are putting your emphasis, where you are looking for those guys, how has that developed over the first cycle and a half or so?

There’s some good players up here. So we’re starting right here in our backyard, looking for guys that fit BC, that want to stay home, that want to be a part of what we’re doing.

And then in the first class that we signed, our class didn’t indicate that we are focusing on the Northeast, but we are focused on the Northeast — we just happened to get guys who weren’t from the Northeast. We didn’t get the guys that we tried to get from the Northeast, so we ended up going back to the Boston College blueprint. We went to Minneapolis. Troy Bell is from out there. We went to Virginia Beach. Down in Virginia — Tyrese Rice. We went to Houston. They’ve had a couple guys from Texas that played at Boston College and were successful. We went to Toronto. We just went and found guys that addressed the needs that we needed to fill, and they just happened to be all across the country. We still try to recruit the Northeast. We’re recruiting them and we’re recruiting guys nationally. So we’ll see. If some of them want to stay home, that would be amazing. But if they don’t, we still have to sign a couple guys.

Assuming DeMarr Langford doesn’t stay in the draft, you might have your top three scorers back, plus another big piece in Quinten Post. You won 13 games last year, but were you able to keep that core intact in this transitory era of the portal. What do you think these guys have bought into that have them coming back?

I think they like each other. I think they like Boston College. I think they like the idea of trying to build something special and leave a legacy. So it’s bigger than them. We do have one still in the NBA Draft process. And he is a pro, at some point. He’s a good player. So we’ll see what happens there. But in terms of just bringing back that core, I just think they like each other, man. I think it’s a good group of guys that care about each other. And then I think they notice that, hey, look, the things that we tried to do this year, the labor we put in produced some fruit. Can we do that again and produce more fruit? I think that there’s an excitement about, what can we get done? So, I think that’s probably the reason. But the most important reason is I think they really enjoy each other.

DeMarr Langford averaged 11.3 points per game last season. (Brad Penner / USA Today)
You’re sitting there in February, you lose big at Syracuse, and then you go 4-4 the rest of the way, with a couple overtime losses in there. How do you view the end of the season? How do you frame it in your mind and to your guys?

The big thing for us is not to grow weary, to keep working, stay the course, keep getting better. We want to be our best in the end. So give the guys credit, their character revealed itself. They didn’t fold up the tent. They didn’t quit, they kept fighting, they kept working to get better at practice. Regardless of if we were winning or losing, we didn’t allow that to affect how we showed up the next day. It was a testament to their character. Finishing 4-4 was fine. We did have a couple tough losses that we felt like we should have won, with maybe one play here and one play there. But the guys just showed great character and they kept fighting.

What do you put at the top of the list of things to attack this summer with this group?

Develop the individual player. Keep getting everybody, the individual pieces, better. We are a developmental program, so just keep getting the individual pieces better. Hopefully help some of our older guys develop better in terms of the leadership piece as well. But we do have some talented players coming in. They’re going to be looking for some leadership from the older guys. And then, probably spend time developing our identity. We are going to have six new guys. We got to assimilate them into what we do, get them an understanding of what we do.

But the most important thing is, develop the individual player. We’re always going to be a developmental program, in terms of, hey, we take this guy that’s a good player and make him great. And we take this guy that’s a really good player and turn them into maybe one of the top guys in the league. It’s always going to be about the individual development of the guys in the offseason.

What do you do to become a better shooting team? What’s the game plan to improve in that area?

Work on it. Hopefully the six new guys we got, they’ll help that. Because some of them, they’re coming in the door shooting it. Some of it’s development, some of it was recruiting. I hope that when you put all that together, we just end up being a better shooting team. That’s really the only way I can address that, I think — develop the guys we have, and just believe that the shooters that we recruited can add to our overall ability to knock down shots from the outside.

Are you a believer that it’s just reps? Or do you think there are mechanical things with some of your guys specifically that you want to address?

I think it’s really reps. Every now and then there may be a guy or two where it’s mechanics. But I think that overall it’s reps. I’m not big on changing a guy’s shot at the age of 19 or 20. But I believe it’s repetition. If there is a guy that just doesn’t make (outside shots), instead of tweaking things, I believe on working on his strengths. Here’s what he does well, let’s focus on that. Let’s get him these type of shots. You might find a kid who doesn’t shoot it great from 3, but he has a really good pull-up midrange game. Well, let’s get him to believe that he needs to look for the midrange. He needs to look to attack. Develop the strengths. Develop and expand the strength is 75 percent, and then working on the weakness is 25 percent.

You are who you are for the most part at 20, 21. But you’re at this level for a reason. Let’s expand on the reasons why, and then let’s try to help you with some of the areas you need.

When you look at the schematics, just what you ran, how you did stuff offensively, what are you keeping? What do you want to try to do differently on the offensive end next year?

We’re walking through that now, doing our offseason. I’m kind of like a snake shedding its skin. I’m looking at, OK, what did we do good? What do we do poorly? And what do we need to be thinking about moving forward with the personnel that we have? I know we got to the free-throw line. I know we did a great job getting paint touches. We didn’t shoot the 3 great. We need to get more in transition. We weren’t converting our misses, so why weren’t we converting them? I think we can share the ball a little bit better. We should have more assists that help each other get easier shots.

So we’re in the process right now of doing a deep dive self-inventory on what we did well, what we need to improve on, and then me and the staff are working on, OK, when the players come in June, here are some of the areas we need to address, and here are some of the things we need to start to implement based on how we think we might need to play to give us the best chance to be successful. And then having the guys returning, that helps. Because this time last year, I didn’t know who I had. I didn’t coach these guys before. Now that I’ve coached them for a year, I have a little bit better understanding of what our strengths and weaknesses are, and I can build our system with a better understanding of what we really have.

Is that the same answer essentially on the defensive end? Are there things you really like that you did defensively? Are there things you didn’t love, with how it went last year?

We got to the free-throw line a lot, but we fouled too much, too. So it’s trying to look at our position and ball-screen defense, keeping the ball out of the paint. I thought changing defenses late in the year really helped us, keeping people off balance, not just being man-to-man for a full 40 minutes. But we’re a little longer this year. We’re bigger at the guard spot and have some long wings, and we added a shot blocker. So maybe that will allow us to do a little bit more.

I’ll learn my team this summer. Because I haven’t had that full team at the gym at one time together. The month of June will be a lot of learning and developing, and the month of July we’ll start some implementation of some of the small details of things we may try to execute offensively and defensively. But I’m going to try to spend time learning in June. They said that Bear Bryant used to go up in the eagle’s nest and watch the game. He’d go way up above. So it’s me trying to let my staff do some stuff so I can pay attention and see what we really have and then go from there.

One of Earl Grant’s challenges this offseason will be to assimilate a large recruiting class into the existing team. (Bob Donnan / USA Today)
You mentioned old guys maybe just being who they are at this point. This will be Makai Ashton-Langford’s sixth year. What areas do you want him to attack to get better, where he’s not just an old guy who stagnates?

He didn’t play healthy last year. He was hurt. He was hurt since December. He was playing with a hand and a half. A couple fingers on his left hand were really messed up, so he actually had a procedure at the end of the year. But we knew that in January. He was shooting it really great early in the year. His percentage went down some, and I think it has something to do with that hand. But for him, it’s more leadership, being more vocal, and being a little bit more aggressive. And then, now that we had a season together, me understanding really who he is as a player and put him in some spots where he could be more successful, put him in some spots where he can be more of a playmaker, and encourage him to take more chances and be more aggressive.

Who is that guy that you’re most curious about developing this summer, where it could make a big difference for you guys, how far he comes along?

I don’t know if I can really pinpoint one guy. There’s a lot of guys that fall in that category. DeMarr Langford has a lot of room to grow. Took a lot of strides, but if he takes a next step that really pushes him over the hump. Quinten Post came on really strong late, ACC All-Tournament team, he’s gotten bigger and stronger in the spring. Jaeden Zackery was a freshman who played 30 minutes a game. It’s a lot of guys. We had Devin McGlockton sitting out for kind of redshirt last year — he’s been around. He gained about 20 pounds of muscle. He has about a 7-1 wingspan.

When you have just been together for a year, you can’t just pinpoint one guy. It’s all the guys. It’s the team. A lot of guys that can grow. We’re a developmental program and I expect to have four or five guys really make a jump this summer.

Jaeden was among your better shooters. He’s the one guy you don’t have to worry about there. Where do you want him to expand his toolbox?

Just take more chances. Become a better finisher. Learn to play at different speeds. Trust his pull-up jumper more so he don’t have to take it all the way to the rim. Shooting on the move. If he could shoot on the move, maybe we can run them off some screens and get him more shots. He shot a high percentage from 3. So, there are three or four things he can improve, or three or four things that we can investigate to add to his game and see how he have it. But that’s why it’s exciting, because there’s multiple guys that could take a big jump.

What’s the stuff that some of the freshmen bring that you don’t necessarily have?

Well, I think we did a good job blocking shots, but I think Armani (Mighty) and Prince (Aligbe) can block shots, too. So that length and athleticism — we have it, but not with that height. Chas (Kelley) is more of a pass-first point guard. He’s proven that — he’s had games of 14 assists. And then DJ (Hand) just scores it. He averaged 30 a game (in high school). We have scorers and we have athleticism, but … we don’t have (that one) 6-5 scoring guard who can shoot it and play at all three levels.

What drew you to Mason Madsen? Why was that a match?

The IQ. Three years of play. Career 38 percent 3-point shooter. Experienced team player, coach’s son, athletic. It’s a lot of things. But having already played two years of college, playing 20 minutes a game in the AAC as a freshman — that may have dropped down this past year, but still an average of 15 minutes a game over a period of two years at that level. Coming into a second-year team that is growing, that’s got a lot of good players but needs a little help, I thought it was the perfect time. I didn’t want to take a one-year guy in that role. If I did that, you can just bring Brevin Galloway back. But I needed a multiple-year guy in that role.

This is a little bit off the basketball-specific topics, but you’re going to have a new boss with Patrick leaving. How does that impact you on a day-to-day? Where does that fall on your radar? Is it something you don’t really think about?

For whatever reason, the last four jobs that I’ve coached at — Wichita State, Clemson, College of Charleston, and now here — after the first year we lost our AD. So it seems pretty normal to me. (laughs)

I’m sure with the type of people that we’ve attracted here in the past that have done a great job, going to Penn State and UCLA, I’m sure we’re going to attract another good one. Whoever he or she is, they’re coming into a better situation than if they had come two years ago. It’s going to be a little bit better now than it was two, three, four, five years ago. That brand new $50 million facility and all the money has been raised — that’s pretty good.

What does success look like in Year 2?

We didn’t really coach for wins and losses this year. It was more about behavior and attitude, and work ethic. It was a pursuit to be a successful human being. What do successful human beings have to do to function in the world? They have to work hard. They have to treat people right. They have to be humble. They have to be good teammates. So keep trying to build on that. Hopefully, the combination of having guys returning that know what we try to do to be what we’re in the pursuit of, maybe they can help teach the young guys, and then we add the talent, the athleticism and all this stuff that we did add with the combination of what we got coming back, hopefully that means we make progress.

For me, without a struggle, there’s no prosperity. So, I’m sure there’s still some struggles ahead, but that’s part of the pursuit to becoming a really good team and a program. You have to go through those things. I want to make progress, but don’t get so caught up in how many games we can win and lose. The daily behavior that it takes to be a successful man — focus on that first. If you’re in the pursuit to do the things that a man in this world has to do to be successful, I think winning finds you.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:28 pm

after the unlubricated buttfucking that was the unh game, i do not look forward to the unlubricated skull fucking that will happen in newark on satuday.

i hope this plays in the wildcat locker room before the game and then again at halftime

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Return to Conte Forum