2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:18 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Thad Matt’s named coach at Butler. I’m sure Pat Kraft never approached him.

Go Eagles!

Thad Matta had no connection with Kraft. His connection lied with Marty. Who instead believed Jimmy Mac was going to turn it around and needed the more time Marty provided via the contract extension.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:31 pm

Jay Wright is a free agent. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:40 pm

This is why Fordham can’t have nice things.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:24 pm

a couple years without a suit and the button money dried up. what’s the point of staying…
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:16 pm

Is pitino willing to leave Iona? :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:06 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:Is pitino willing to leave Iona? :ace

Bump. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:18 pm

Hafley might be available after next season.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:38 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Hafley might be available after next season.

Your source saying anything about Jay Wright coming to BC next year? :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:48 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:

So wait, I sold that stupid rumor and you think you should use it against me? LOL no wonder BC still has 6 fans.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Manny on Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:03 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

So wait, I sold that stupid rumor and you think you should use it against me? LOL no wonder BC still has 6 fans.

I swear this is true: one of my high school teammates was on the staff at Syracuse in those days, and called me out of the blue when we hadn't spoken in like two years. He asked me for some perspective on BC because, according to his counterpart on Villanova's bench, we were chasing Jay Wright and it looked like it had legs, and he was thinking about trying to get a job with Wright if he moved.
Manny
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:27 pm

Manny {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

I swear this is true: one of my high school teammates was on the staff at Syracuse in those days, and called me out of the blue when we hadn't spoken in like two years. He asked me for some perspective on BC because, according to his counterpart on Villanova's bench, we were chasing Jay Wright and it looked like it had legs, and he was thinking about trying to get a job with Wright if he moved.

I believe you. My selling of that rumor, however, was based on zero info. If it was true, it was by accident.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:53 pm

Manny {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

Bates talked to Wright but didn't have a budget for good assistants.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:10 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Sean Miller out in Zona. Tough offseason for the Miller boys.

If Tommy Lloyd ends up at Arizona, I will be a bit frustrated. He would have been in the mix last year if not for COVID saving JC. This year we obviously went with "head coaching experience" as a must.

Be a bit frustrated.

Interesting to see that this hire is not getting universal approval within Wildcat nation. Support is a lukewarm 60-40 percent. The McHale Center Mafia seems to think they should have been able to pry away a proven winner of a head coach—frustration that Heeke didn’t take a run at Beard, which I had not heard anything about until today’s hiring was announced. And a lot of angst that they couldn’t make that kind of hire (remember, they lured Olsen away from a far more established Iowa program back in the day and got Miller from Xavier when there were several baby rapists seeking his services) because (a) Heeke imploded the athletic budget and (b) Heeke didn’t cut ties with Miller sooner and got the NCAA sanctions behind them.

Lots of anger at “Mid Major Dave” across the Interwebs.

I think it is understandable. He has lived his entire life in Washington and spent 20 years as an assistant who focused almost exclusively as an international recruiter. For a school like Zona, who views themselves as a basketball blue blood, it is underwhelming. The international thing could've worked at a crap program like BC. But, Zona thinks they should be landing Mickey D diaper dandies. And, then there is the never a head coach thing. Teddy is right that it is idiotic to limit a search (the worse the program, the dumber it is to constrain). Ultimately, you are hiring a person... not a resume. That said, Arizona likely feels that they should be able to poach pretty much any coach they wanted. And, if you were going to go the unproved route, they should've done it with someone from within the family (like a school legend toiling away as Pacific's head coach).

It’s entirely understandable, and the truth is it is ridiculous that Heeke kept Miller around for almost two years after he should have been fired or that he didn’t take a run at an established winner like Beard. I get why they didn’t make a run at Moser—probably not the right fit in terms of recruiting—but it does not sit well in Tucson that Oregon has got Altman and UCLA has Cronin and they are taking a chance on a guy who has never run a program. A lot of comparisons being drawn with Hopkins at U-Dub, which is not a good thing.

Interestingly, there was zero clamoring for Stoudemire. And I don’t think his hiring would be better received—more likely, it would be even more of a “meh” reaction. General consensus is he isn’t ready for prime time. He has surpassed expectations at Pacific, which is a graveyard job for football and basketball coaches, but the feeling is that he ought to parlay that into a better mid-major program job and show he can win there before he would be ready for a job like Zona. Nor was there any clamoring for Pastner, because he has pretty much hit a perfect level of medicority since Memphis moved from Conference USA to the AAC—his subsequent performance at Georgia Tech being equally meh (and including a recruiting scandal). Luke Walton is pretty much the only alum who might have entertained the job who would have excited the alumni and fan base.

Maybe Arizona administration knew something about Beard that made them not interested.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/colle ... ember.html
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:38 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Also interesting to see the Baby Rapists came for Porter Moser. I am fairly certain he will fail miserably at Oklahoma, but that is precisely the sort of job where you take the money. He’ll likely quadruple his current salary ($1.4 million) and will get a five year deal. When he flames out in five years, assuming he still wants to coach, he’ll land at someplace like DePaul where he’ll get paid in the neighborhood of $2 million a year. A completely different scenario from Beard and a win-win for Moser.

I am interested to see who Steve Watson hires for the Loyola job. He is one of the best basketball ADs out there and whoever he hires is someone BC ought to have a file on for future reference when the Electric Avenue era of BC basketball ends with yet another whimper.

What happens if Steve Watson hires Dennis Gates? Would you then be suggesting we should’ve taken a Cleveland Steamer?

No. In the unlikely event Watson hires the Cleveland Steamer I suggest we open a file on him and watch how Watson works with him so if/when he is successful we can try and hire the now proven candidate and provide him with the resources he is getting at ULC so we can replicate that success. With that said, with the fundraising prowess Watson has demonstrated and the fact that ULC has a new practice facility and can pay $2 million a year, I think Watson might go the route of hiring a mid-major success who underperformed at a P6 level. Arch Miller would make a lot of sense under the circumstances.

Mizzou beats out SoCar in the battle for hiring the Cleveland Steamer.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns ... 3b1ec.html

Dennis Gates proving that Pat Kraft was as right as AngryDick.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:48 pm

Chris Beard is available.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:33 pm

Jim Boeheim is available.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:55 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Also interesting to see the Baby Rapists came for Porter Moser. I am fairly certain he will fail miserably at Oklahoma, but that is precisely the sort of job where you take the money. He’ll likely quadruple his current salary ($1.4 million) and will get a five year deal. When he flames out in five years, assuming he still wants to coach, he’ll land at someplace like DePaul where he’ll get paid in the neighborhood of $2 million a year. A completely different scenario from Beard and a win-win for Moser.

I am interested to see who Steve Watson hires for the Loyola job. He is one of the best basketball ADs out there and whoever he hires is someone BC ought to have a file on for future reference when the Electric Avenue era of BC basketball ends with yet another whimper.

What happens if Steve Watson hires Dennis Gates? Would you then be suggesting we should’ve taken a Cleveland Steamer?

No. In the unlikely event Watson hires the Cleveland Steamer I suggest we open a file on him and watch how Watson works with him so if/when he is successful we can try and hire the now proven candidate and provide him with the resources he is getting at ULC so we can replicate that success. With that said, with the fundraising prowess Watson has demonstrated and the fact that ULC has a new practice facility and can pay $2 million a year, I think Watson might go the route of hiring a mid-major success who underperformed at a P6 level. Arch Miller would make a lot of sense under the circumstances.

Mizzou beats out SoCar in the battle for hiring the Cleveland Steamer.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns ... 3b1ec.html

Dennis Gates proving that Pat Kraft was as right as AngryDick.

I'd like to revisit this. Missouri is ranked anywhere from 48 to 55 in most of the statistical rankings the NCAA uses for tournament selection. Lunardi projects anywhere from an 8 to 11 seed. Looks, I'd be ecstatic if BC were in that position, but there are two things that need to be stated: (1) Missouri is a much better job that BC--better resources, better facilities, better history, more fertile recruiting grounds and ability to land McDonald's All-American-type recruits; and (2) making the NCAA as a low seed is not a major coaching accomplishment at Missouri. It's about the equivalent of making the NIT at BC.

So, I think it is way too early to proclaim that the Cleveland Steamer is a success at this point. He's done okay. Nothing more.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:25 pm

some interesting jobs already open

i don't see cooley jumping to georgetown, just parlaying interest into more $ (like he did w mich)
pitino to st. johns seems inevitable, rick can keep his house on winged foot
pastner taking his vizor and wallmart outfits elsewhere
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:28 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:some interesting jobs already open

i don't see cooley jumping to georgetown, just parlaying interest into more $ (like he did w mich)
pitino to st. johns seems inevitable, rick can keep his house on winged foot
pastner taking his vizor and wallmart outfits elsewhere

Not a good look to be openly flirting with a school that still has not fired its coach.

A little nugget as we talk about giving Coach Grant a big extension:

"According to Braziller, Anderson has four years and up to $10 million remaining on his contract following an extension St. John’s gave him in 2021 — keeping Anderson tied to the program, if everything worked out, through the 2026-27 campaign."

SJU is regretting that extension given after year 2. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:50 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Chris Beard is available.

Update: Chris Beard is NOT available.

I guess, if a school is willing to put up with Lane Kiffin, they don’t care about a wife beater
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:46 pm

think cooley is just leveraging gtown for more money like michigan a couple of years ago
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:03 am

guess i'm wrong

@JonRothstein
Ed Cooley put his Rhode Island home on the market for sale this morning, per Zillow.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:38 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:guess i'm wrong

@JonRothstein
Ed Cooley put his Rhode Island home on the market for sale this morning, per Zillow.

The amount of money they are rumored to be spending on Cooley is disgusting and for what hes accomplished at Providence, quite frankly, not worth it.

Whats even worse, you can basically match up the signing of his home sales disclosure form with PC's season tanking (signed day before Seton Hall game end of season where they got blown out). Really surprised he handled this so poorly and basically threw the season away.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:57 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

@JonRothstein

The amount of money they are rumored to be spending on Cooley is disgusting and for what hes accomplished at Providence, quite frankly, not worth it.

Whats even worse, you can basically match up the signing of his home sales disclosure form with PC's season tanking (signed day before Seton Hall game end of season where they got blown out). Really surprised he handled this so poorly and basically threw the season away.

I'd be thrilled with the level of success Cooley had at PC, but that's insane money for him.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:32 am

Big-time extension for Earl Grant through '28-'29.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:43 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

@JonRothstein

I'd be thrilled with the level of success Cooley had at PC, but that's insane money for him.

7 tournaments in 12 years is infinitely better than zero since 2009.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:32 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

@JonRothstein

7 tournaments in 12 years is infinitely better than zero since 2009.

Georgetown is allegedly paying Cooley $5mm a year and rumors were originally they were going to $6mm ... somehow PC was able to get to a $4.5mm in a counter offer. This puts Cooley behind names like Calipari, Self, Izzo, Barnes and Bruce Pearl ... hes been successful at PC but hes not on par with those names.

What is starting to leak out is that this was not totally about money. Allegedly he had some marital problems (affairs for the last few years and was caught by his wife) and she was the one that basically pushed this move out of Rhode Island.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:25 pm

Let’s all recall that GDF fired Skinner and passed on Cooley. We’ve been wandering in the desert ever since. I like Grant and feel he has us on the right path. But… there was no reason to destroy what once was a great program. Same could be said about GDF firing Jags and passing on Logan.

Happy for Cooley. Don’t know (nor really care) what GTown thinks they are doing.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:54 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The idea that the Danny Hurley I played against in high school is a top choice for the BC hoop job is hilarious. The dude was deadly from three if you didn't force him to go right, but he literally couldn't spell "Hurley"

BUMP
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:29 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The idea that the Danny Hurley I played against in high school is a top choice for the BC hoop job is hilarious. The dude was deadly from three if you didn't force him to go right, but he literally couldn't spell "Hurley"

BUMP

:whammy :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum