Athletic's "Recruiting Confidential" on the ACC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Athletic's "Recruiting Confidential" on the ACC

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:12 am

The Athletic did another round of their Recruiting Confidential series, this time focusing on the ACC. Part I talks to anonymous high school coaches and recruiting coordinators at high schools about hardest-working coaches, impressive assistants, etc.

Part II covers interviewees' impressions of NIL's importance, SEC's power, etc.

Talked to 3 coaches from So. Fla., recruiting coordinator (RC) from Cent. Fla., 1 coach & 1 RC from Ga., 2 coaches from No. Car., 1 coach from So. Car., 1 coach from Va., and one coach from "New England".

Quotes about BC for those who aren't subscribers:

Do you hear from the entire league (ACC) or just schools in your area?
* Georgia RC:
Boston College, NC State mostly, but I hear from the entire league. Duke has done a phenomenal job.

* New England Coach:
Not necessarily every school, but Miami, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Clemson mostly. Some don't reach out at all...

* So. Fla. Coach I:
Florida State, Miami we hear a lot from because we're in-state. Virginia has always done a good job recruiting our school since I've been here. Boston College, too.

* Virginia Coach: Just lists Boston College amongst various schools that come to visit. Most do supposedly. Miami, Florida State, NC State, Georgia Tech, and Syracuse basically don't visit this coach's school FWIW.

Which head coach do you hear from the most?

New England area coach:
Ohio State's Ryan Day and BC's Jeff Hafley. They're at the top. I know Ryan from his days at BC 20 years ago. Greg Schiano and Pat Narduzzi. Marcus Freeman visited once. Oregon's Dan Lanning is another great guy. A lot of positive energy. I met him when he was at Georgia.

Which assistants have impressed you?

All interviewees re BC's staff:

There was also a question about which school worked your area the hardest. No one mentioned BC even as they cited multiple schools coming into their area hard.

How many assistants come to your school without doing their homework and only offer players based on offers they already have?

Virginia coach:
Wow, If I said percentage based, I would say 35 percent of the time. We've had quite a few guys play in the ACC and play really, really well in the ACC, and I've had coaches come to me and not know anything about our program. They honestly say "Oh I didn't know you had this many athletes. I didn't know where your school was. I've never seen your school It's a really nice school. What players do you have?" I don't get it from BC. I don't get it from Clemson. I don't get it from Duke. They know.

Which head coach would you want your son to play for?

New England coach:
I love Jeff Hafley. I think he's a class guy. I also like Pat Narduzzi. But if I had to pick one--Hafley. Mario (Cristobal) I met once. Like him. Hafley came by one day when our best guy wasn't here. He just sat here with me in our cafeteria. We sat for about an hour. Just talking about football. He's just a genuine regular guy.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Re: Athletic's "Recruiting Confidential" on the ACC

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:27 am

BTW in Part II discussing NIL and the SEC's looming presence, there was no mention of BC. Miami was cited as getting heavily into NIL, was was Michigan State from the Big-10. Seems a lot of programs are trying to figure things out and even asking these HS coaches and recruiting coordinators what they know. Many of the college coaches demur from NIL discussions and point them to the collectives. SEC thought to be on a different level vs. ACC, even Vanderbilt. One of the HS interviewees quoted a college coach saying they would keep recruiting a kid even if he was headed to the SEC, hoping that they would get him on the 2nd round in the portal.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby xu9697 on Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:37 pm

Thanks for posting. Interesting information.
xu9697
Carney Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:23 pm

OCs_Inner_Eagle {l Wrote}:The Athletic did another round of their Recruiting Confidential series, this time focusing on the ACC. Part I talks to anonymous high school coaches and recruiting coordinators at high schools about hardest-working coaches, impressive assistants, etc.

Part II covers interviewees' impressions of NIL's importance, SEC's power, etc.

Talked to 3 coaches from So. Fla., recruiting coordinator (RC) from Cent. Fla., 1 coach & 1 RC from Ga., 2 coaches from No. Car., 1 coach from So. Car., 1 coach from Va., and one coach from "New England".

Quotes about BC for those who aren't subscribers:

Do you hear from the entire league (ACC) or just schools in your area?
* Georgia RC:
Boston College, NC State mostly, but I hear from the entire league. Duke has done a phenomenal job.

* New England Coach:
Not necessarily every school, but Miami, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Clemson mostly. Some don't reach out at all...

* So. Fla. Coach I:
Florida State, Miami we hear a lot from because we're in-state. Virginia has always done a good job recruiting our school since I've been here. Boston College, too.

* Virginia Coach: Just lists Boston College amongst various schools that come to visit. Most do supposedly. Miami, Florida State, NC State, Georgia Tech, and Syracuse basically don't visit this coach's school FWIW.

Which head coach do you hear from the most?

New England area coach:
Ohio State's Ryan Day and BC's Jeff Hafley. They're at the top. I know Ryan from his days at BC 20 years ago. Greg Schiano and Pat Narduzzi. Marcus Freeman visited once. Oregon's Dan Lanning is another great guy. A lot of positive energy. I met him when he was at Georgia.

Which assistants have impressed you?

All interviewees re BC's staff:

There was also a question about which school worked your area the hardest. No one mentioned BC even as they cited multiple schools coming into their area hard.

How many assistants come to your school without doing their homework and only offer players based on offers they already have?

Virginia coach:
Wow, If I said percentage based, I would say 35 percent of the time. We've had quite a few guys play in the ACC and play really, really well in the ACC, and I've had coaches come to me and not know anything about our program. They honestly say "Oh I didn't know you had this many athletes. I didn't know where your school was. I've never seen your school It's a really nice school. What players do you have?" I don't get it from BC. I don't get it from Clemson. I don't get it from Duke. They know.

Which head coach would you want your son to play for?

New England coach:
I love Jeff Hafley. I think he's a class guy. I also like Pat Narduzzi. But if I had to pick one--Hafley. Mario (Cristobal) I met once. Like him. Hafley came by one day when our best guy wasn't here. He just sat here with me in our cafeteria. We sat for about an hour. Just talking about football. He's just a genuine regular guy.

Thanks for posting. This fits with what we know. This sort of stuff is Hafley's comfort zone. Now he just needs to adjust with his staff and actual coaching. I am not surprised we are not in the work your area the hardest category. In most of the places listed, BC is a tough geographic sell. So it makes sense to be more selective and building relationships vs offering every hot shot in the region.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:56 pm

uh, the wall around new england would like a word with you, blogboy
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:54 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:uh, the wall around new england would like a word with you, blogboy

The island doesn't run itself.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Return to Alumni Stadium