McNulty Fired?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

McNulty Fired?

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:00 pm

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources- ... -struggles

Sources: Boston College, offensive coordinator John McNulty parting ways after 2022 struggles
The Eagles had lofty expectations but stumbled to an 3-9 campaign as injuries derailed their offense

John McNulty, considered one of the foremost tight ends coaches in all of college football and a coaching veteran with more than three decades’ experience, is parting ways with Boston College following one year as the Eagles’ offensive coordinator, sources tell FootballScoop.

A former tight ends coach at Notre Dame, who played at Penn State, McNulty has coordinated offenses on three separate occasions at the collegiate level and also garnered lengthy NFL service in a career that’s touched parts of the past four decades.

The Eagles entered 2022 with lofty expectations after they had qualified for a bowl game following the ’21 campaign and returned quarterback Phil Jurkovec.

But Jurkovec was injured in the ’22 season and the Eagles limped to an 3-9 finish in their third year under coach Jeff Hafley, a former star defensive coordinator at Ohio State.

Boston College had the Atlantic Coast Conference’s third-lowest scoring offense at just 17.8 points per game last season; the Eagles were held to 23 or fewer points in nine of their 11 games against Football Bowls Subdivision competition.

However, BC did engineer a captivating 34-33 win against Louisville, an eventual bowl team, and upset then-No. 16 North Carolina State on the road.

In addition to his time at Notre Dame, where he helped coach Michael Mayer, a projected future first-round NFL Draft pick, as well as Brock Wright, McNulty twice previously coordinated offenses at Rutgers and logged NFL coaching experience with the Arizona Cardinals, Dallas Cowboys, Jacksonville Jaguars, then-San Diego Chargers, Tampa Bay Bucs and Tennessee Titans.

With a pivotal 2023 campaign on the horizon, the Eagles are scheduled to open their season with back-to-back non-conference home games against Northern Illinois and Football Championship Subdivision program Holy Cross before the rest of their slate, which includes games against UConn and on the road at Army, as well as ACC road contests Louisville, Syracuse, Georgia Tech and Pittsburgh.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: McNulty Fired?

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:51 pm

BC wouldn't hire this guy to replace McNulty would they?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nunzio_Campanile
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Re: McNulty Fired!

Postby hansen on Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:59 pm

It’s official, McNulty has been fired
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:50 pm

I’m going to give Hafley props here. McNulty was the wrong guy in the wrong decade to be coordinating a college offense. Fucking terrible job hiring him, but at least he didn’t let the mistake bleed into Year 2. As I mentioned in another thread, Turner will likely be considered.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:28 pm

is Gary Tranquill still available
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:13 am

I find it really tough to evaluate McNulty with that OL, but when you finish 122nd in scoring offense you're getting fired.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:42 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I’m going to give Hafley props here. McNulty was the wrong guy in the wrong decade to be coordinating a college offense. Fucking terrible job hiring him, but at least he didn’t let the mistake bleed into Year 2. As I mentioned in another thread, Turner will likely be considered.

Like Addazio & Christian, it was a bad hire when made. All you had to do was look at the guy's resume. Hire is difficult and JF is still new to it. Hopefully he as learned from this. He may have to leave his comfort zone with this hire.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:09 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I find it really tough to evaluate McNulty with that OL, but when you finish 122nd in scoring offense you're getting fired.

We've kinda already had this conversation midseason. I still don't know why you think McNulty has to be given yet another chance.

HJS on Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:42 am {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:The coaching has been poor to mediocre, but it hasn't been a 2-10 coaching job. I think it's really hard to evaluate McNulty with this OL.

Why must we evaluate McNulty. Like what awesome career path did he take that demands a benefit of the doubt. He washed out TWICE at Rutgers. Chris Ash (the other tOSU defensive coordinator who was accelerated to head coach) would probably blame his termination on him. But, he was a TE coach at ND... which clearly still carries significant weight at Backup College. You give DeGuglielmo a second chance... not McNulty.

Nothing pisses me off more than a college coordinator who refuses to adjust to the players he has. College is a steady stream of new kids in and out of the program. The job of the coordinator is to come up with a scheme that maximizes the hand you are dealt. It is what made HCRD so good at BC and what made Todd Fitch a trainwreck. McNulty knew going in that he had no OL... he knew going in that he had great WRs and RBs... he knew going in that he had a not-smart QB who had a history of scrambling, occasionally making throws and then getting hurt. The last offense you would put in is the one we deployed... slow-developing plays... between the tackles... double-move patterns... QB reliance on reading coverage. It is a 1990s offense that would be difficult to deploy if every OL returned from last year's team.

McNulty is undoubtedly under contract for another season. But, he needs to be demoted to TE/Special Teams Coordinator... and Matt Thurin can finally start his career as an insurance salesman. As a replacement, Hafley would be wise to bring in someone born after the Nixon administration.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:32 am

when is the presser to announce crazy guggenheim as the new oc.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:58 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I find it really tough to evaluate McNulty with that OL, but when you finish 122nd in scoring offense you're getting fired.

We've kinda already had this conversation midseason. I still don't know why you think McNulty has to be given yet another chance.

HJS on Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:42 am {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:The coaching has been poor to mediocre, but it hasn't been a 2-10 coaching job. I think it's really hard to evaluate McNulty with this OL.

Why must we evaluate McNulty. Like what awesome career path did he take that demands a benefit of the doubt. He washed out TWICE at Rutgers. Chris Ash (the other tOSU defensive coordinator who was accelerated to head coach) would probably blame his termination on him. But, he was a TE coach at ND... which clearly still carries significant weight at Backup College. You give DeGuglielmo a second chance... not McNulty.

Nothing pisses me off more than a college coordinator who refuses to adjust to the players he has. College is a steady stream of new kids in and out of the program. The job of the coordinator is to come up with a scheme that maximizes the hand you are dealt. It is what made HCRD so good at BC and what made Todd Fitch a trainwreck. McNulty knew going in that he had no OL... he knew going in that he had great WRs and RBs... he knew going in that he had a not-smart QB who had a history of scrambling, occasionally making throws and then getting hurt. The last offense you would put in is the one we deployed... slow-developing plays... between the tackles... double-move patterns... QB reliance on reading coverage. It is a 1990s offense that would be difficult to deploy if every OL returned from last year's team.

McNulty is undoubtedly under contract for another season. But, he needs to be demoted to TE/Special Teams Coordinator... and Matt Thurin can finally start his career as an insurance salesman. As a replacement, Hafley would be wise to bring in someone born after the Nixon administration.

I honestly don't care if you fire him or not. It's not going to make any difference as to whether this team goes 3-9 or 6-6 next year (neither of which I care about).
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:21 pm

Hafley today said he’s finalizing some things regarding the new OC and it should be announced soon.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:31 am

hansen {l Wrote}:Hafley today said he’s finalizing some things regarding the new OC and it should be announced soon.

Looking forward to the potential meltdown here when the announcement is made.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:35 am

isn't this usually about the time nospace starts pushing for tyrone winningmore?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:29 pm

hearing guggenheim is gone.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:28 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:hearing guggenheim is gone.

That's fine. :pickle
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium