Hafley

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Hafley

Postby HJS on Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:35 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:3 years in, one of my biggest complaints is how he has used The Portal. The weakest position he inherited coming in was the DL. 3 years later, it is still our achilles. There are 3 transfers on the DL: Onwuka, Terry and Banks. Is this really the best we could do? Terry & Banks couldn't even crack this 2-deep and Onwuka got pushed around today.

While I agree the DL has been terrible throughout his time here. The Achilles heel of this team is the OL. But, both DL and OL was known to suck and Hafley did nothing for either. The entire RU line on both sides were from the Portal. So, there was talent available better than what we had on the roster.

That said… the Portal is all about paying players. BC’s lack of transfers probably speaks to the amount of NIL money that is available at a shit program with apple-picking fans and no boosters. If you wanted Hafley to use the Portal, you should’ve offered to give those kids money. At this point, our shiftiness is as much all of our fault for failing to pay teenagers for services rendered (but not in a hansen RI Beach rendezvous sorta way).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:46 pm

It’s going to get worse because we have no NLI money. Hafley is going to have big trouble hanging onto his better talent. Get ready for several losing seasons in a row. Recruiting is not going great either and that’s if they don’t lose anyone before signing day. The top 6 recruits in Mass turned BC down.

As usual BC will let the program hit rock bottom. The next President will have to make a decision to either commit the resources or hope a pay for play with a mandatory salary cap is in place. They probably should hire Bill O’Brien to rebuild the program at that point.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:57 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:3 years in, one of my biggest complaints is how he has used The Portal. The weakest position he inherited coming in was the DL. 3 years later, it is still our achilles. There are 3 transfers on the DL: Onwuka, Terry and Banks. Is this really the best we could do? Terry & Banks couldn't even crack this 2-deep and Onwuka got pushed around today.

Wait, the DL is the biggest problem? Jesus Christ.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:44 am

The similarities of Daz’s first 3 seasons and Hafley’s are frightening.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:50 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Strawman much?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:00 am

Not really. You’re words were: “3 years later, it is still our achilles.”

Achilles Heel and “biggest problem” are kinda synonymous.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:23 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Strawman much?

Defensive line is fine and played well until they got tired. Score 2 more TDs and a FG and dont give Rutgers 6 on a snap inside you 5 like you should have and you don't even notice the Dline.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:28 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Strawman much?

Defensive line is fine and played well until they got tired. Score 2 more TDs and a FG and dont give Rutgers 6 on a snap inside you 5 like you should have and you don't even notice the Dline.

They were absolutely gassed that last drive. TOP overall was close, I would be interested to see it by quarter.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Bunratty on Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:26 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Strawman much?

DL is tiny. And not good.
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:34 pm

BC's DLine would destroy BC's OLine.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Bunratty on Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:56 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:BC's DLine would destroy BC's OLine.

Likely. First in a pig’s race.
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:21 pm

Bunratty {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Strawman much?

DL is tiny. And not good.

Very true. 90 looked like a DE and 19 & 6 looked like LBs.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:04 pm

Bunratty {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:BC's DLine would destroy BC's OLine.

Likely. First in a pig’s race.

Perhaps, but it also proves the point. DLine played well enough to win yesterday. Other than OLine and QB, same could be said for the rest of the team. OLine shows and BC wins by 3-4 TDs. That's how bad they were.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:07 pm

An anagram of Hafley is F Leahy.

I hope he enjoys retirement.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby tallsy on Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:40 pm

I presume Hafley survives 5-7 but is he gone if it's a 2-10 or 3-9 disaster? He inherited a much better situation than Addazio and would have the same record.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:30 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

While I agree the DL has been terrible throughout his time here. The Achilles heel of this team is the OL. But, both DL and OL was known to suck and Hafley did nothing for either. The entire RU line on both sides were from the Portal. So, there was talent available better than what we had on the roster.

That said… the Portal is all about paying players. BC’s lack of transfers probably speaks to the amount of NIL money that is available at a shit program with apple-picking fans and no boosters. If you wanted Hafley to use the Portal, you should’ve offered to give those kids money. At this point, our shiftiness is as much all of our fault for failing to pay teenagers for services rendered (but not in a hansen RI Beach rendezvous sorta way).

How much did we pay Terry and Tomlin to stand on the side line?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:15 pm

tallsy {l Wrote}:I presume Hafley survives 5-7 but is he gone if it's a 2-10 or 3-9 disaster? He inherited a much better situation than Addazio and would have the same record.

He gets a fourth year regardless of the record.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:17 pm

As I said previously. No matter how terrible this year turns out, Haflazzio/Hafazziani will be back for another year.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby tallsy on Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:23 am

I hope halfwit improves so this won't be an issue but people told me left, right, and center that BC would never fire a coach midseason (barring scandal), and yet Christian was let go mid-February. I would imagine even Leahy would do something at 1-11.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:26 am

tallsy {l Wrote}:I hope halfwit improves so this won't be an issue but people told me left, right, and center that BC would never fire a coach midseason (barring scandal), and yet Christian was let go mid-February. I would imagine even Leahy would do something at 1-11.

Christian was fired in Year 7 when we owed him nothing.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Logitano on Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:47 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
tallsy {l Wrote}:I hope halfwit improves so this won't be an issue but people told me left, right, and center that BC would never fire a coach midseason (barring scandal), and yet Christian was let go mid-February. I would imagine even Leahy would do something at 1-11.

Christian was fired in Year 7 when we owed him nothing.

This. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle33 on Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:25 am

even if haflazzio gets fired i don't trust this new ad to make a good hire.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:55 am

eagle33 {l Wrote}:even if haflazzio gets fired i don't trust this new ad to make a good hire.

Fully expect this shitty Miami retread would make even a worse hire. I would be pissed if Hafley was fired for that reason.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby durkcal on Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:23 pm

I think we'd be in a better place right now if Haf had done what I thought made sense and hire Robert Anae / Jason Beck after Mendenhall resigned. That didn't take a huge amount of imagination, and an exhaustive search. They were right there in the conference. You had to be in a cave to not see the Mendenhall announcement. Not sure how their hires work out for Syracuse, but I feel like it's better than what we did.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:26 pm

durkcal {l Wrote}:I think we'd be in a better place right now if Haf had done what I thought made sense and hire Robert Anae / Jason Beck after Mendenhall resigned. That didn't take a huge amount of imagination, and an exhaustive search. They were right there in the conference. You had to be in a cave to not see the Mendenhall announcement. Not sure how their hires work out for Syracuse, but I feel like it's better than what we did.

Did they attend or work for Rutgers?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:37 pm

Coach Hafley

Get Out
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:02 am

"Obviously, my expertise is on the defensive side of the ball. I'm trying to be down there with the offense and be supportive and helping any way that I can during practice. I try to go down there more often than I did in the previous years during periods. But I hired those guys. And I've been allowing them to coach. I watch the film with them, and I'm trying to give my two cents from a defensive perspective. I'm just doing the best I can to help them out right now."

That seems like a guy who is divorcing himself from the product on the field. He is taking responsibility for hiring McNulty... which means he will be taking responsibility for firing/demoting him mid-season. The hope here is that McNulty's contract is only for one year. No one is taking him away from us for $900k.

Hafley certainly has an Addazio trajectory going. Hire a horrible OC at the start of Year 3 to replace an OC that was good but never liked. Refuse to come up with a quick fix for a zero-experience OL in favor of rolling the dice with an experienced QB and D. They were awful, mind-numbing mistakes. Whether they are similarly career-defining is up to Hafley in the next few weeks. Bye Week is dead center in the schedule (after an embarrassing shellacking by Clemson). If he doesn't make a change in personnel during that Bye Week while 1-5 or 0-6, he will be done as a head coach candidate for bigger jobs. Luckily, I foresee him not running out his contract, but leaving for an NFL DC gig with the 49ers.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:01 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
"Obviously, my expertise is on the defensive side of the ball. I'm trying to be down there with the offense and be supportive and helping any way that I can during practice. I try to go down there more often than I did in the previous years during periods. But I hired those guys. And I've been allowing them to coach. I watch the film with them, and I'm trying to give my two cents from a defensive perspective. I'm just doing the best I can to help them out right now."

That seems like a guy who is divorcing himself from the product on the field. He is taking responsibility for hiring McNulty... which means he will be taking responsibility for firing/demoting him mid-season. The hope here is that McNulty's contract is only for one year. No one is taking him away from us for $900k.

Hafley certainly has an Addazio trajectory going. Hire a horrible OC at the start of Year 3 to replace an OC that was good but never liked. Refuse to come up with a quick fix for a zero-experience OL in favor of rolling the dice with an experienced QB and D. They were awful, mind-numbing mistakes. Whether they are similarly career-defining is up to Hafley in the next few weeks. Bye Week is dead center in the schedule (after an embarrassing shellacking by Clemson). If he doesn't make a change in personnel during that Bye Week while 1-5 or 0-6, he will be done as a head coach candidate for bigger jobs. Luckily, I foresee him not running out his contract, but leaving for an NFL DC gig with the 49ers.

Agree Hafley will look to leave before enduring a string of losing seasons, but what is the tipping point to make that jump? Would imagine it's a combination of remaining years on the contract and, yes, whether the 49ers DC gig opens up.

If McNulty is on a 1-year contract, that's the last time Hafley's going to be hiring an OC without a multi-year deal. That should be quite the conversation in the halls of the YAC.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby durkcal on Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:56 am

Hafley, nor pretty much any other coach, is prematurely leaving a contract that pays $3 million a year, for a job that will pay at most 40% of that. 1) these guys are insane competitors. Where they see a window to win say 3 in a row, and save their job, they'll take it, 2) the guys in the NFL that know Hafley and respect him will have that assistant job for him regardless of when or how BC works out. The NFL is chock full of guys that have failed in a previous assignment.

The only NFL position that Hafley is costing himself in the medium term by having sub .500 seasons as head coach at BC are NFL head coaching positions because owners and GM's are not going to be impressed.

Hafley is a smooth enough talker, recruiter, etc...that he might talk himself into a position on Saban's (coaching rehab) staff if and when he is fired by BC. If he wants to be a college head coach again, that would be the move.

But all of this is speculation for AFTER Hafley is fired by BC. He is our coach, for a while. I think even in worst case scenario of losses, that will mean he is here through the 2023 season (or at least paid through it). The only thing that could get him fired before that is a scandal. And he doesn't seem to be the scandal type. If you really want him gone, you have to hope that he doesn't get some weird 2016 Dax style wins (NC State in the rain delay, Wake for ex) to get him to .500 in 2023. I still don't know how Daz sprinkled a few of those wins in amongst FSU and Louisville dropping a combined 97 points on us.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:59 am

durkcal {l Wrote}:Hafley, nor pretty much any other coach, is prematurely leaving a contract that pays $3 million a year, for a job that will pay at most 40% of that. 1) these guys are insane competitors. Where they see a window to win say 3 in a row, and save their job, they'll take it, 2) the guys in the NFL that know Hafley and respect him will have that assistant job for him regardless of when or how BC works out. The NFL is chock full of guys that have failed in a previous assignment.

The only NFL position that Hafley is costing himself in the medium term by having sub .500 seasons as head coach at BC are NFL head coaching positions because owners and GM's are not going to be impressed.

Hafley is a smooth enough talker, recruiter, etc...that he might talk himself into a position on Saban's (coaching rehab) staff if and when he is fired by BC. If he wants to be a college head coach again, that would be the move.

But all of this is speculation for AFTER Hafley is fired by BC. He is our coach, for a while. I think even in worst case scenario of losses, that will mean he is here through the 2023 season (or at least paid through it). The only thing that could get him fired before that is a scandal. And he doesn't seem to be the scandal type. If you really want him gone, you have to hope that he doesn't get some weird 2016 Dax style wins (NC State in the rain delay, Wake for ex) to get him to .500 in 2023. I still don't know how Daz sprinkled a few of those wins in amongst FSU and Louisville dropping a combined 97 points on us.

Agreed, he is here 2 more years, suck it up and deal with it. Hopefully he turns it around and catches lightening in a bottle.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium