Official Gameday Thread - BC at Clemson -10.2.21

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC at Clemson -10.2.21

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:13 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Q: "Jeff, For the QB position, is Dennis the guy moving forward or is there still competition for that QB1 position?"
A: "Dennis is the guy"

Yeah I don't think he has any real options here. Grosel is all that he has. But he knows that Grosel isn't any good. He brought in a good QB through transfer and that guy appears to have a glass jaw, injured two seasons in a row now. So Hafley is screwed.

Fuck that answer in the ear. He is basically saying that Rueve and Moorhead need to transfer to BU (i.e. a school that doesn’t play football).

He's watching all the QBs practice. I'm pretty sure if Morehead or Rueve were good he'd give them a try. Rueve couldn't even generate offers from most the MAC and Morehead is a true freshman.

Grosel was/is not very good, but those two could certainly be worse.

And I'm pointing out that, as bad as Grosel is, if Rueve and Moorhead are worse... they should quit playing football. Further, if Hafley/Cignetti's handpicked QB recruits are so bad that they can't even compete with Grosel (which was the question posed on the call), I have zero hope that QB depth won't always be a problem.

We get it HJS. And logic dictates, you'd be right. I don't see many people here disagreeing with you.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:30 am

qb depth is a problem for essentially every non baby rapists given the era of free movement and the position
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:57 am

the qb position is a shit show, but i think its tough to totally kill hafley for it

clemson has been one of the two best programs in the nation the last 8 years, gets every player they want, back to back first round qbs...they get a 5 star recruit, #1 at his position, he comes in at QB after sitting under the "tutelage of Trevor" for a year and is one of the worst qbs we will face.

our qb situation is a disaster, but you need to tell me where hafley went wrong if you want to kill him for the current situation.

December 2019: Hired as coach

January 2020: gets jurk to transfer to BC for three years as potential starter qb without having to sit out. if the criticism here is that jurk is made of glass (somewhat fair) so he shouldn't have gotten him, then you have to be okay with last year being 12 games of grosel. it wasn't fair to expect him to get an impact true freshman qb given his hiring timeline

2020 season: since you are playing jurk, he's got 2 years after this, and he looks at the very least decent (4 of his first 5 games 300+ yards passing) you have to convince a top qb recruit to pass over a baby rapist where he would have to sit anyway, to sit here for a couple of years. in my mind the only shot in 2020 that we got a top qb here is if we had grosel playing so you could say "youll get to start for 4 years", thus torpedoing the 2020 season

im pissed about the loss. grosel does suck and if jurk doesnt get hurt in a meaningless game were winning 10+ games this season (we'll get close either way), but i dont see how we should have some star qb waiting in the wings given how things unfolded. and what happens if we dont get jurk, grosel sucks, and we cant get one of tgosb top qbs? or we get one and he comes in and sucks the way the #1 qb per tgosb does at clemson?

bottom line is this team is a top 25 team and wins 10+ games if the starting qb doesnt get hurt in the second year after daz and spaz. i can't be that upset about that setup
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby lnnocent Bystander on Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:35 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:realistically what qb would've transferred in to be 3rd string.

you can criticize him for not getting a big time QB in his first class but that kid would be a true fr. the list of true FR qbs that aren't a dumpster fire in year 1 isn't long

The only way a true frosh QB succeeds in college football is if there are weapons all around him AND his opponents have marginal defenses.

Grosel is no good. Hafley knows that. My avatar is a QB who got to start as a true freshman over a drunk, 26 year old, former professional baseball player, a former baseball player who was given every possible opportunity to succeed at BC. If Morehead was as good as Rettig, he's have started the Temple, Mizzou, and Clemson games (two of those three opponents had very marginal defenses.) Because the coach who recruited him sucked and the recruits he brought in were completely under-utilized, Rettig's career at BC was largely a dumpster fire. That is not Rettig's fault. As it turns out, his freshman year (the year he was least prepared for the speed and athleticism of FBS level college football) wound up being the most successful of his career. He had weapons all around him (including a senior 2-star WR who made a pair of 5-star corners at USC look "meh" in their bowl game.)

And then, all of :toby 's players graduated. No more weapons. It was all downhill for Rettig from there (downhill until his first year meathead coach realized that he did in fact have a weapon at tailback to help Rettig out in his senior year.)

Ooops! I forgot...

RETTIGUN!!11!1!11!!
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
lnnocent Bystander
Carney Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:29 pm

Even with Grosel, we can easily go 10-2.*

* this is NOT an endorsement of his QB skills
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:43 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Even with Grosel, we can easily go 10-2.*

This team is not easily going anything. Was the Mizzou game easy?

We are looking at 6-6 or maybe 7-5.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:02 pm

I admit it. I looked for the space.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:03 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:the qb position is a shit show, but i think its tough to totally kill hafley for it

clemson has been one of the two best programs in the nation the last 8 years, gets every player they want, back to back first round qbs...they get a 5 star recruit, #1 at his position, he comes in at QB after sitting under the "tutelage of Trevor" for a year and is one of the worst qbs we will face.

our qb situation is a disaster, but you need to tell me where hafley went wrong if you want to kill him for the current situation.

January 2020: gets jurk to transfer to BC for three years as potential starter qb without having to sit out. if the criticism here is that jurk is made of glass (somewhat fair) so he shouldn't have gotten him, then you have to be okay with last year being 12 games of grosel. it wasn't fair to expect him to get an impact true freshman qb given his hiring timeline

2020 season: since you are playing jurk, he's got 2 years after this, and he looks at the very least decent (4 of his first 5 games 300+ yards passing) you have to convince a top qb recruit to pass over a baby rapist where he would have to sit anyway, to sit here for a couple of years. in my mind the only shot in 2020 that we got a top qb here is if we had grosel playing so you could say "youll get to start for 4 years", thus torpedoing the 2020 season

im pissed about the loss. grosel does suck and if jurk doesnt get hurt in a meaningless game were winning 10+ games this season (we'll get close either way), but i dont see how we should have some star qb waiting in the wings given how things unfolded. and what happens if we dont get jurk, grosel sucks, and we cant get one of tgosb top qbs? or we get one and he comes in and sucks the way the #1 qb per tgosb does at clemson?

bottom line is this team is a top 25 team and wins 10+ games if the starting qb doesnt get hurt in the second year after daz and spaz. i can't be that upset about that setup

I used to hate it at the time, but it might be helpful to revert to TOB's old strategy of giving a young QB one or two series in the second quarter.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:09 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:the qb position is a shit show, but i think its tough to totally kill hafley for it

I used to hate it at the time, but it might be helpful to revert to TOB's old strategy of giving a young QB one or two series in the second quarter.

Are you suggesting a return to the 2ndQ Experiment?
DomingoOrtiz
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:13 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

So did I.

The problems for this team go way beyond QB. The entire defense is at least one year away from being average for the ACC. Not good, just average. We all watched the team play against Clemson. We all watched Clemson receivers getting all sorts of yards after the catch, and that was with BC defenders draped all over them. The only time BC receivers did anything after the catch is if the Clemson defense broke down in coverage and there was no one within 5 feet of the BC receiver. Otherwise, they were tackled instantly (sometimes in open field.)

How many times did we see Garwo get tackled in the backfield for a one or two yard loss? That stuff can't happen. That is a drive killer. But it was happening. BC had (what?) one sack in the game, at the near end of the game? Maybe they had one other play where they stopped the tailback for a loss but there wasn't much.

And look at all the penalties yesterday.
Last edited by innocentbystander on Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:18 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

I laughed.

10-2 is still in play despite what you negative nancies think although 8–4 or 9-3 is probably a little more realistic. I expect our defense to keep improving and the offense to cleanup the mistakes from last game. Don’t sleep on Hafley is all I’m saying.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:20 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

Yes, it pains me to admit it, but i am. If only to see if one of the young guys has "it." It's not like putting it in place when you have Jurk starting.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:23 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I laughed.

10-2 is still in play despite what you negative nancies think although 8–4 or 9-3 is probably a little more realistic. I expect our defense to keep improving and the offense to cleanup the mistakes from last game. Don’t sleep on Hafley is all I’m saying.

hansen of course the defense will continue to improve. But so will every other defense that BC will face for the rest of the year.

11-1 is "still in play" but its not going to happen. Teams are too strong defensively. Look how well NC State is playing right now? Look how well Wake Forest is playing right now? Yes they are not baby rapists but those teams have the fundamentals of college football working correctly at the moment. We can't say that about BC.

There are two pushovers left on the schedule. You can put them down as wins. After that, BC is (at best) a craps shoot in each other game.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:25 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

Yes, it pains me to admit it, but i am. If only to see if one of the young guys has "it." It's not like putting it in place when you have Jurk starting.

The older we get, the less we realize we knew about :toby when we were younger and the more we respect :toby today.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:27 pm

i disagree. i think at the very best we will lose both of our nc games this year and then your boyfriend who's qb abilities you respect and endorse, will cost us another game that we have no right to lose (kinda like against the clemson). even though he sucks and all of us know it, i don't think grossel knows it yet, but after a few more shit games he'll lose any confidence he has left and show us what sucking really looks like (no, not in the other dudes on the beach way, hansen)

still, 8 wins would be an improvement over the gym coach and the mad scientist and may show things moving in the proper direction. i'm not satisfied with that and i'm not labelling that as a ceiling, but with glass phil missing most of another season and no one else ever having quarterbacked a backyard football game, we're stuck with the 30 year old MAN
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:30 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

The older we get, the less we realize we knew about :toby when we were younger and the more we respect :toby today.

good god, just shut up night school
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:50 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:im pissed about the loss. grosel does suck and if jurk doesnt get hurt in a meaningless game were winning 10+ games this season (we'll get close either way), but i dont see how we should have some star qb waiting in the wings given how things unfolded.

OK strawman. At no point in time has anyone even intimated that we should have a "star qb waiting in the wings". All anyone is saying is that we should have someone better than Grosel waiting in the wings. That is a universe so incredibly vast that it incorporates the likes of Johnny Fadule. The implication as to Rueve and Moorhead should shock the conscious and question why the staff would burn scholarship money on players who wouldn't make the two-deep at Holy Cross. Two things can be true at the same time. This can be a good coaching staff AND they can also be awful at recruiting/developing QBs.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:04 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I laughed.

Its weird that you caught real gonorrhea from a fake poster.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:18 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

good god, just shut up night school

why don't you try and post this on facebook and see what happens?
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:28 pm

Dennis Grosel was TWICE in the midst of the 2nd-most iconic 4th quarter drive for a BC QB in the past 30 years, despite his teammates racking up numerous procedural penalties (as usual...), and would certainly have delivered victory (on the road, against a top 25 team with a defense full of "burger boys") if his center hadn't decided to snap the ball first directly into the turf and then secondly to the back judge.

By the way, he got flattened about 20 times over the course of the game, and he never backed down.

What is wrong with you people?
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:30 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:50 pm

Only 4 QBs have thrown for over 300+ against Clemson in the past 3 years… Justin Fields, Joe Burrow, Ian Book, Dennis Grosel.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:12 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:im pissed about the loss. grosel does suck and if jurk doesnt get hurt in a meaningless game were winning 10+ games this season (we'll get close either way), but i dont see how we should have some star qb waiting in the wings given how things unfolded.

OK strawman. At no point in time has anyone even intimated that we should have a "star qb waiting in the wings". All anyone is saying is that we should have someone better than Grosel waiting in the wings. That is a universe so incredibly vast that it incorporates the likes of Johnny Fadule. The implication as to Rueve and Moorhead should shock the conscious and question why the staff would burn scholarship money on players who wouldn't make the two-deep at Holy Cross. Two things can be true at the same time. This can be a good coaching staff AND they can also be awful at recruiting/developing QBs.

so which one do you want:

1. transfer: a competent mac level starter or acc backup who would have transferred in knowing he was a backup?

or

2. freshman: him to have gotten a true freshman who is ready to play in the acc having convinced the freshman to come knowing he was going to be sitting behind a qb for probably two years?

in the event of 1, explain to me how you convince someone at that level to transfer in to be the backup? if he is mac competent or acc backup caliber, hes just going to transfer where he can play, or be a clear 2nd string whereas he'd have to compete for the 2 here. he will also likely transfer to a place where the starter is a senior to give him a chance at starting the following year.

in the event of 2, explain to me how we get someone ready to be serviceable in the acc in one recruiting class when the kid knows hes going to be sitting behind a starter for at the very least a year. if he knows hes going to sit here for 1-2 years and is acc competent, why wouldnt he go somewhere else?

im not blindly supporting the staff, im saying its a lot easier said than done to just "get a competent backup" given our qb situation entering this year. explain to me why a transfer or freshman who is at that level decides to come here given where we stood entering the 2021 season.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:18 pm

Additions to the QB timeline:
Dec. 1999 Though AB had entered The Portal, he went to the team meeting where JH met the team and from public comments, its sounds like he could have been talked into staying;
Jan 2020 Rueve was offered;
Dec 2020 Sam Johnson enters The Portal;
April 2021 Matt Valecce enters The Portal.
DomingoOrtiz
Fulton Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:43 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Only 4 QBs have thrown for over 300+ against Clemson in the past 3 years… Justin Fields, Joe Burrow, Ian Book, Dennis Grosel.

Some people are saying this ISN'T impressive! Huh?
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:24 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Additions to the QB timeline:
Dec. 1999 Though AB had entered The Portal, he went to the team meeting where JH met the team and from public comments, its sounds like he could have been talked into staying;
Jan 2020 Rueve was offered;
Dec 2020 Sam Johnson enters The Portal;
April 2021 Matt Valecce enters The Portal.

Ok so is the argument you’d rather have AB than Jurk? That’s reasonable. If we did go that route this year would be a rebuilding year at the qb position.

I can’t believe people actually think that we should have a very solid backup qb on this roster given the circumstances.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:07 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Ok so is the argument you’d rather have AB than Jurk? That’s reasonable. If we did go that route this year would be a rebuilding year at the qb position.

I can’t believe people actually think that we should have a very solid backup qb on this roster given the circumstances.

First, AB still has eligibility and is starting for Oregon. So, it wouldn’t be a rebuilding year. Second, the argument isn’t about having “a very solid backup at qb”. The argument is about having an actual qb as backup.
Last edited by HJS on Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:49 pm

The transfer portal is wide open. When constructing the roster for 2021, Hafley and Cignetti should have looked at the fact that they had a low level Patriot League talent backing up Jurk and made a move. Honestly, they would even have to be that creative. They could have put a call into Drew Pyne of nearby New Canaan, CT and asked him how he felt about being the third string QB at Notre Dame, when he could come to BC and start next year for a couple of years after Jurk rides off into the NFL draft at the end of this season, which would have happened if he had remained upright, or alternatively, you are the starter when Jurk goes down in a heap. Also available in the pool from where they hooked Jurk is Brendan Clarke, a 3 or 4 star recruit from Virginia who is the 4th string QB in Brian Kelly’s clown show, and by any objective standard in ND’s Spring Game displayed a far better arm and far more mobility than Grosel.

And if South Bend is closed for business, there are a ton of 3rd string QBs at any Baby Rapist you can name who might be happy with a promotion to second string with a real chance to start. Any one of those guys would have a better arm and better athleticism than Grosel. Hell, you could have done some specific fishing at more than a couple of FCS schools and found a much better QB in the two deep who might want the chance to take a shot at the P5. No, letting Grosel stand as the back up was a colossal blunder and one easily fixed this past off season. Big stain on Hafley’s reputation that he didn’t address it.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:51 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}: No, letting Grosel stand as the back up was a colossal blunder and one easily fixed this past off season. Big stain on Hafley’s reputation that he didn’t address it.

It’s this.

Btw… if Jurk wasn’t Glass Joe, he’d be in the NFL next season. Then where would we be?

Hafley walked into a roster that had a solid injury-prone starter and decent recruits who didn’t develop. He blew that up. But, replaced it with a superstar injury-prone starter and bad recruits who didn’t develop… leaving the sole-surviving walk-on from the previous administration as the only option.

Having absolutely no contingency for the most important position during our once-in-20-years opportunity is a failure borne of dereliction or futility. This is something that will haunt Hafley’s legacy like losing to Northwestern/West Virginia or Wake/Syracuse or Maryland/VTech. Just the latest in a long line of excellent coaches who failed to recognize the historically unique situation.
Last edited by HJS on Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:29 am

but again, what's the pitch to get a better than patriot league qb in?

in the scenario you said: hey drew pyne, come and be the backup at bc opposed to the backup at ND? here you can sit behind someone with 2 years of eligibility instead of 1!
Last edited by claver2010 on Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

PreviousNext