Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:08 pm

Everyone’s meathead gym teacher Pat Fitzgerald gets the gate. A bold move, as a Fitzgerald was a legend at the school as a player and, by the admittedly low bar presented by Northwestern, is probably the third best coach in the school’s history behind Ara Parseghian and Gary Barnett, and unlike the aforementioned two, was never going to leave and could have been there for another 20 or more years.

It goes to show what academia is like these days when Fitzgerald got nuked based on allegations from one anonymous and apparently despised member of the team who openly told teammates all he wanted to do was get “Fitz” fired. Apparently, the majority of the roster is pissed and the kid’s anonymity will probably be gone by tomorrow. Fortunately for him, no one cares about Northwestern football so he won’t be harmed.

Any case, we ought to be looking to harvest any decent player from what will likely be a torrent of departures. And while there is probably a dearth of decent players on the Notthwestern roster, we suck and our definition of decent is probably fluid enough to accommodate at least a few guys.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:55 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Any case, we ought to be looking to harvest any decent player from what will likely be a torrent of departures. And while there is probably a dearth of decent players on the Notthwestern roster, we suck and our definition of decent is probably fluid enough to accommodate at least a few most guys.

Fixed
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:58 pm

Btw… what happened to Fitz and Shaw is precisely why coaches should always be looking to move. They both had opportunities to leave but stayed at their alma maters… only to be shot out the door as soon as an opportunity arose.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:52 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Btw… what happened to Fitz and Shaw is precisely why coaches should always be looking to move. They both had opportunities to leave but stayed at their alma maters… only to be shot out the door as soon as an opportunity arose.

This. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:29 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:There is also a reckoning coming for college football if schools are going to pay absurd sums for non-championship level coaches like Riley, Kelly or Tucker. A lot of schools that were hanging by a thread are not going to be able to keep up—including our own alma mater.

well looks like msu has a way out of the $80m or whatever buyout:
NEW: Michigan State University is investigating allegations that its head football coach, Mel Tucker, sexually harassed activist and rape survivor Brenda Tracy.

He is accused of making sexual comments and masturbating on a phone call without her consent.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:47 pm

jimbo's buyout numbers.

eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:08 pm

The money doesn’t matter to A&M, some oil billionaire will stroke that check at the end of the year. What matters to A&M is making a rock star type hire to compensate for this disaster and the fact that no matter what they do, they are the unloved, academically inferior little brother to UT.

If Urban Meyer wants to make $25 million, all he has to do is bat an eye in the direction of College Station. They’ll probably throw in a 100 hot coeds for him to anally probe if he wants that in the bargain as well.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:59 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:There is also a reckoning coming for college football if schools are going to pay absurd sums for non-championship level coaches like Riley, Kelly or Tucker. A lot of schools that were hanging by a thread are not going to be able to keep up—including our own alma mater.

well looks like msu has a way out of the $80m or whatever buyout:
NEW: Michigan State University is investigating allegations that its head football coach, Mel Tucker, sexually harassed activist and rape survivor Brenda Tracy.

He is accused of making sexual comments and masturbating on a phone call without her consent.

Huh, I thought he was doing well at MSU. I guess I only noticed the 2021 season.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:06 am

https://sports.yahoo.com/big-ten-oppone ... OO0FiurUBS

i'd be shocked if harbaugh is in ann arbor come february '24
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:28 am

I don't think Harbaugh is going anywhere. If you don't want your signs/signals stolen by your opponents on the field, come up with complicated and convoluted signals.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:47 pm

I’ll remind folks Daz without the off the field problems got fired at 6-6.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:36 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I’ll remind folks Daz without the off the field problems got fired at 6-6.

In year 7. Barring a total meltdown and finishing 6-7, Hafley locked up another year last week.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle33 on Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:22 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I’ll remind folks Daz without the off the field problems got fired at 6-6.

In year 7. Barring a total meltdown and finishing 6-7, Hafley locked up another year last week.

and that's why this program is a joke,
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby Manny on Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:19 am

What are the off-field problems? I only pay 25% attention on Saturday anymore, so I know nothing about what happens during the week.

(Also, didn't pretty much everyone on campus hate Daz on a personal level, leaving aside the plateau/diminishing returns on the field?)
Manny
Carney Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:07 am

Jimbo is done at TAMU. And gets all that money guaranteed.

I wonder if he’ll coach for free next season somewhere. Or double dip. Rovell says it’s not offset.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:10 pm

I think Hafley at the least suggests the portal can be a positive for BC. No way he doesn't return for another season now in any case
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:39 pm

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:I think Hafley at the least suggests the portal can be a positive for BC. No way he doesn't return for another season now in any case

If Hafley loses the next two games in gutless fashion and then a bowl game he’s in major trouble
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:11 pm

You seriously think a 6-7 season gets him fired?
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:04 am

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:You seriously think a 6-7 season gets him fired?

Coming off a 3-9 season where they totally meltdown down the stretch? Yea I think it's very possible. Addazio got fired in a similar spot with the same President. I don't recall Addazio also also having players mysteriously disappearing from the team or the "undisclosed non-injury" whatever nonsense. The media that covers BC is useless, so it's easier for BC to sweep this stuff under the rug.

Next year's schedule is pretty brutal, so you can keep him around for another year if you want, but he's going like 2-10 next year and getting fired.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:50 pm

what's up, bitches.

here is my three pronged (i know hansen will like that description) to getting jimbo to the heights

1. point out that some versions of some uniforms like have the same maroon color that he's been rocking in college station - so his wardrobe would be still in play. how many other schools can say that, and which ones of those would he want to go to over this shit box of a program?

b. c'mon man, how much money do you really need?

iii. only like 8 people in the known universe will be aware when you stop caring in year 2 or 3 of your tenure

with this three pronged plan (you're welcome again, hansen) that is all i have to say on boston college football, any other associated or unassociated athletic endeavor of boston college, or anything academic or related to boston college as a school, location, concept, construct, facility, community, organization, or foundation in any way. fuck leahy and anyone else associated with the place.

your pal,

tanner boyle
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:52 pm

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:37 pm

Fuck they’re stupid. They have two narrow losses to Alabama and Tennessee and it’s not like they’re below .500 even in SEC play, which is is second only to the NFL. When Texas and Oklahoma join, is every SEC AD expecting to only lose 0-3 games per year still? When you consolidate powers, they need to play each other. When two teams play each other, one must lose. That’s where Michigan and Ohio State will have a step up; they won’t have to play a top 25 caliber team every week. That Texas A&M doesn’t understand this and is willing to eat $76mil to gamble on another coach (which they will have to pay fat money to) is so stupid that it’s offensive
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby tallsy on Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:41 pm

Even Leahy/James know that this was BC's easiest schedule since the early 70s.

The tough schedule in 2024 is why they're keeping Hafley. Let him twist in the wind next year and leak the off-field stuff so that the new coach can show improvement in Year 1. If - by some miracle - he figures out how to coach, so much the better.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:32 pm

tallsy {l Wrote}:Even Leahy/James know that this was BC's easiest schedule since the early 70s.

The tough schedule in 2024 is why they're keeping Hafley. Let him twist in the wind next year and leak the off-field stuff so that the new coach can show improvement in Year 1. If - by some miracle - he figures out how to coach, so much the better.

You're giving everyone associated with this operation far too much credit.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:29 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:what's up, bitches.

here is my three pronged (i know hansen will like that description) to getting jimbo to the heights

1. point out that some versions of some uniforms like have the same maroon color that he's been rocking in college station - so his wardrobe would be still in play. how many other schools can say that, and which ones of those would he want to go to over this shit box of a program?

b. c'mon man, how much money do you really need?

iii. only like 8 people in the known universe will be aware when you stop caring in year 2 or 3 of your tenure

with this three pronged plan (you're welcome again, hansen) that is all i have to say on boston college football, any other associated or unassociated athletic endeavor of boston college, or anything academic or related to boston college as a school, location, concept, construct, facility, community, organization, or foundation in any way. fuck leahy and anyone else associated with the place.

your pal,

tanner boyle

TRE rhymes with Sonny Dykes, is just upset that TCU football has returned to its historical mean.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Thornton Melon on Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:20 pm

Chip Kelly getting the axe will continue to be the perfect guy here - he's another one like Leach that just needs to be left alone to do his own thing and can do it well without an AD trying to be the head coach.
Thornton Melon
Carney Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:35 am

Not really relevant, but I found it interesting that Texas A&M hasn't won a national championship since 1939, which I hadn't known (i.e. before BC claimed its NC). They should have claw back provisions against the administrators who hand out massive contracts thinking a big name head coaches are the miracle cure.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:26 am

Thornton Melon {l Wrote}:Chip Kelly getting the axe will continue to be the perfect guy here - he's another one like Leach that just needs to be left alone to do his own thing and can do it well without an AD trying to be the head coach.

Agreed.

Gotta feel like this is the moment that Marty is going to make a play for his previously successful, hand-picked Head Coach.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby durkcal on Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:54 pm

As much as Jonathan Smith just seems like he checks all the boxes, I have a feeling Marty and the UCLA faithful will have a hard time getting excited about that hire. I have a feeling he is going to sell them on a Junior Adams type from Oregon, especially if Oregon finishes the season strong.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:07 pm

From the UCLA media it seems like Jonathan Smith or Jedd Smith.

But, we know Marty, and that is way too boring. He is all about winning the press conference and hiring either middling P12 coaches doesn't accomplish that.

I totally can see him trying to coax Chris Petersen or Urban Meyer out of retirement or see what it would cost to poach Kyle Whittingham or Lane Kiffin. If he strikes out, he can always grab Brian Harsin from the scrap heap or tab one of his former favorites for the BC job (Hafley or Elko).
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium