Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:08 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Was BC a land grant school with 30k undergrads in 2008?

Agreed we were always screwed under this new model (whatever it is).

Again, enjoy big-time college football for the next few years because it's coming to an end at BC very soon.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:46 am

Thamel Tweeting the meeting:

FSU Board Chair Peter Collins says the board has been left "no choice" but to challenge the ACC's Grant of Rights. "We’ve exhausted all possible remedies within the conference. We must do what’s best for Florida State not only in the short term, but also in the longterm."
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:26 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Thamel Tweeting the meeting:

FSU Board Chair Peter Collins says the board has been left "no choice" but to challenge the ACC's Grant of Rights. "We’ve exhausted all possible remedies within the conference. We must do what’s best for Florida State not only in the short term, but also in the longterm."

They sued the ACC challenging the $130mm exit fee.
https://espn.com/college-football/story ... drawal-fee
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:09 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Thamel Tweeting the meeting:

They sued the ACC challenging the $130mm exit fee.
https://espn.com/college-football/story ... drawal-fee

They think it'll cost them $572M to exit the ACC. Good luck with that one boys.

As much as I can't stand FSU and think this whole this is saber-rattling, this is the end of BC Football.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:34 pm

The end of BC football happened quite a while ago. Probably around the time the LHN was created to prevent the P12 from grabbing Texas. I feel bad for programs like Wake who actually tried and invested and were successful... but still will be left behind.

As for the case... it seems a simple liquidated damages clause with regard to the exit fee. The broadcast rights is somewhat interesting because specific performance of a contract is rare. But, the rights are not really replaceable and are specifically what ESPN purchased. Also, FSU is not irreparably harmed by them being broadcast on ESPN (especially since that is where they would be broadcast if they joined the SEC). It is just that they potentially wouldn't be maximizing their value. Further, if the rights are clawed-back and ESPN cancels the contract with the ACC, I would think the conference could sue FSU for the difference between the new and old deal (which conveniently would be the actual damage incurred by the breach). Others likely have a better read on the merits beyond my rudimentary issue spotting (as I was never a litigator, went to Yukon and did not sleep in a Holiday Inn last night).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:00 pm

ACC has filed a lawsuit in Mecklenberg County NC against FSU

https://portal-nc.tylertech.cloud/Porta ... 040918-590
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Manny on Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:38 pm

There will be two dozen Legal Experts appearing on sports channels and local news broadcasts the next few days opining on this (and millions of them posting on Twitter and message boards). None of them have any idea what will happen because like six people alive have seen and read the relevant documents. Two of them even understood what they read.

Of course I suspect that none of it matters, as FSU is just trying to create leverage to get the ACC to agree to stop splitting TV revenue evenly. A bunch of guys at Greenberg are already excited for their billables next year, though.
Manny
Carney Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:29 pm

Manny {l Wrote}:There will be two dozen Legal Experts appearing on sports channels and local news broadcasts the next few days opining on this (and millions of them posting on Twitter and message boards). None of them have any idea what will happen because like six people alive have seen and read the relevant documents. Two of them even understood what they read.

Of course I suspect that none of it matters, as FSU is just trying to create leverage to get the ACC to agree to stop splitting TV revenue evenly. A bunch of guys at Greenberg are already excited for their billables next year, though.

You forgot to put legal experts in quotes. I’m sure that’s what FSU wants but I think that would mean the destruction of the league in the near future. It didn’t work in the Big 12 and no reason to think it works here.

Interesting tidbit in the ACC lawsuit is the estimation of FSU media rights being worth in excess of 5 million per year. The amount that they were paid was redacted but the language notes that it was far more than that they received last year.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:09 pm

i'm not a law talking expert but submitting the lawsuit riddled with typos probably isn't a good look
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:15 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:i'm not a law talking expert but submitting the lawsuit riddled with typos probably isn't a good look

Honestly, if you told me the FSU lawsuit was written by ChatGPT, I wouldn’t be surprised. Some really bizarre English mistakes (more than just spelling errors) in there.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:53 pm

Isn’t the $500mm number something FSU purposely would want to inflate (since they are arguing the penalty is draconian and prevents free commerce)? I believe the figure is arrived by pretending that FSU would leave the ACC by paying the exit fee, surrendering their rights and then joining a conference for free until 2036. It’s precisely the kind of analysis you’d expect from an FSU diploma.

Let’s all remember that this school is essentially UCF pre- and post-Bowden (complete with a fake National Championship for their undefeated season). It should be noted that FSU considered leaving the ACC in 2012 for the B12… which is where they will most likely land if the ACC agreed to let them out.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:04 pm

120M is the exit fee. The remaining 450 is what they think they would owe to get their Grant of Rights Back. They can leave if they pay 120 but are useless to the Big 10 or 12 without their media rights.

Texas paid 50M to buy their final year of their Game of Rights. I think another ten years is worth atleast 400 considering the new ACC deal is just around the corner.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:22 pm

Texas A&M was the financial village idiot of 2023 until this
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:53 pm

A lot of people here predicting the distant future with all too much confidence and certainty. I am curious where you all got your crystal balls? Moreover, please post the winning Powerball numbers.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:58 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:A lot of people here predicting the distant future with all too much confidence and certainty. I am curious where you all got your crystal balls? Moreover, please post the winning Powerball numbers.

Ah. Uh-huh. Well I say if you’re paying $120-$400mil for the exact same program with worse championship odds, you’re a fucking fool. For that money you can hire personal trainers and coaches for each individual player until the sun explodes. There is no program or player reinvestment with this spend; just different opponents and a different TV contract. So yeah it’s dumb.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:11 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:A lot of people here predicting the distant future with all too much confidence and certainty. I am curious where you all got your crystal balls? Moreover, please post the winning Powerball numbers.

Ah. Uh-huh. Well I say if you’re paying $120-$400mil for the exact same program with worse championship odds, you’re a fucking fool. For that money you can hire personal trainers and coaches for each individual player until the sun explodes. There is no program or player reinvestment with this spend; just different opponents and a different TV contract. So yeah it’s dumb.

I am not saying you are wrong. I am not saying that you are right. You could be right.

All I'm saying is that I don't know for sure what will happen in the not too distant future and I don't think anyone here does either. Did anyone predict that Oregon State and Wazzou would permanently nut themselves right out of real college football by being forced into the WCC? I didn't see that coming but Drew Bledsoe is probably groaning about this every day.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:56 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

I am not saying you are wrong. I am not saying that you are right. You could be right.

All I'm saying is that I don't know for sure what will happen in the not too distant future and I don't think anyone here does either. Did anyone predict that Oregon State and Wazzou would permanently nut themselves right out of real college football by being forced into the WCC? I didn't see that coming but Drew Bledsoe is probably groaning about this every day.

The fact that you had to go all the way back to Drew Bledsoe when you were trying to remember an NFL player from either school means you probably should have saw that coming.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:28 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

This is an internet message board. The whole point of it is for idiots like me to be able to opine on all manner of nonsense with entirely unjustified confidence and certainty.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:09 am

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

This is an internet message board. The whole point of it is for idiots like me to be able to opine on all manner of nonsense with entirely unjustified confidence and certainty.

This
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:28 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

Fair enough
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:32 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

The fact that you had to go all the way back to Drew Bledsoe when you were trying to remember an NFL player from either school means you probably should have saw that coming.

I almost mentioned Ryan Leaf but thought better of it.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:29 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
As much as I can't stand FSU and think this whole this is saber-rattling, this is the end of BC Football.

This may be true, but the bigger threat to BC football is the efforts to force the players to be deemed employees.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:59 pm

Does anyone see a scenario in the UGA FSU game that is good for the ACC? If FSU loses “wow a bad team can run through an ACC schedule undefeated” and if they win “looks like they’re ready and could benefit from megaconference competition after all, let’s do it”

Maybe a very close FSU loss?
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:58 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Does anyone see a scenario in the UGA FSU game that is good for the ACC? If FSU loses “wow a bad team can run through an ACC schedule undefeated” and if they win “looks like they’re ready and could benefit from megaconference competition after all, let’s do it”

Maybe a very close FSU loss?

it doesn't matter. That is not Florida State's team on the field. That is just the best high school football team in the country. The defending national champions are playing an entire roster of 18 and 19 year olds.

Of the 22 starting players in the ACC Championship, the ten best opted OUT of the damn Orange Bowl. Talk about biting your nose off the spite your face. But the results of this game will be conclusive of nothing.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:10 pm

The opting out thing is the same for both teams. But, when you cull together a team of hired guns to make a run while you still have your elite QB (who is himself a transfer), you should not be surprised that they aren’t as invested in the program as the guys on the other sideline.

FSU has nothing but football. It is not an academic institution. It is not a strong alumni network. It is a stadium that had the fortune of a great coach who recruited elite athletes from his backyard at a time where distance was still a factor. It is wildly understandable why that fanbase would act irrationally at the thought that their return to relevance could be brief.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:42 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:The opting out thing is the same for both teams. But, when you cull together a team of hired guns to make a run while you still have your elite QB (who is himself a transfer), you should not be surprised that they aren’t as invested in the program as the guys on the other sideline.

FSU has nothing but football. It is not an academic institution. It is not a strong alumni network. It is a stadium that had the fortune of a great coach who recruited elite athletes from his backyard at a time where distance was still a factor. It is wildly understandable why that fanbase would act irrationally at the thought that their return to relevance could be brief.

FSU fans and leaders overestimate their worth. However, they should always be good given the depth of talent within 100 miles of the school. Florida and Miami are in a similar boat. When those schools are not winning, it is on the coaching. The talent available to them is ridiculous. Texas and Georgia show that once you put an above average Head Coach in charge with a ridiculously talented local recruiting territory, winning follows. Look at LSU. Talent is so deep in their backyard that Miles and Orgeron won National Championships.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:10 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:The opting out thing is the same for both teams. But, when you cull together a team of hired guns to make a run while you still have your elite QB (who is himself a transfer), you should not be surprised that they aren’t as invested in the program as the guys on the other sideline.

FSU fans and leaders overestimate their worth. However, they should always be good given the depth of talent within 100 miles of the school. Florida and Miami are in a similar boat. When those schools are not winning, it is on the coaching. The talent available to them is ridiculous. Texas and Georgia show that once you put an above average Head Coach in charge with a ridiculously talented local recruiting territory, winning follows. Look at LSU. Talent is so deep in their backyard that Miles and Orgeron won National Championships.

Maybe back when college sports were composed of student-athletes. That ain't it anymore. None of that talent is going to sit on the bench for 2 years to develop and bide their time waiting for their opportunity. FSU had a great season, not because of their backyard athletes... but, because they got a bunch of hired guns to join those players. Without the hired guns, FSU has another 4-loss season.

Let's be honest... if FSU was in a super-conference of 8 teams with UGA, Bama, Mich, Wash, Tex, Oregon and OSU, they would finish dead last even if fully healthy. The team that sued everyone on Selection Sunday was very likely not a top 10 team. The team that was jobbed was UGA. I fully expect Michigan to TCU UDub next week and Georgia would be a TD favorite if it played Michigan.

All that said, FSU is doing FSU things now because they know next year they will not be good and they see that they won't have enough money to pay players at scale while still expensing Willie Taggart-like mistakes.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:34 pm

HJS, I think you are seriously underestimating the University of Washington. Bo Nix and Oregon under estimated them not once, but twice. And look how good Texas was and for the majority of the 2nd half, the Longhorns were NOT in that game. They had to get super, SUPER lucky (through a terrible misfortune for Washington injury) to even be in a position to have a chance to win that game.

You said lets be honest. Okay, so here is some honesty. Yes, I agree with you that Michigan should win. Michigan showed vs Alabama that they are lights out every bit the athletic EQUALS of the top 5 star recruits in the deepest power-5 conference. Honestly, that was the best Rose Bowl game I have seen in the last 30 years. But the University of Washington just beat the ONLY TEAM IN THE COUNTRY that beat a team that Michigan struggled so hard to beat, a team that Michigan had to go into OT to beat. And honestly, Washington has the best QB in all of college football, I don't give a damn what the "experts" say.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:44 pm

Washington has the QB from the University of Indiana, Bloomington. Just saying.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:43 pm

So?
innocentbystander
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium