Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:30 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Soooo, does the BIG and SEC kick out Vandy and NW?

and/or will get to the point that these universities no longer want to be a part of it.

i could also see tcu tearing down their current monstrosity and building something that meets the new capacity requirements. lots of money in ft. worth to help that to happen... and not just from mysterious strangers. then again, the horny toads have a bc level of apathy for their sports teams so, maybe not

Also, my guess is that there will definitely be a bunch of schools chucked out of the Big 10 and a couple will be given their walking papers by the SEC as well when the numbers crunch of letting in Texas, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, USC, UCLA, FSU, U-Dub, UNC, Clemson. We, and the rest of the dregs--unless we are rescued because some marketing idiot decides we are necessary for the Boston market and they can squeeze enough extra TV money as a result to cover our costs--will sink towards some 1AA hybrid. The worst part of this will be that we will end up playing UCONN on the regular because with slashed revenues we will be even more cost conscious in an effort to keep the program profitable. Of course, the program's margins are going to be much tighter and what profits it does make will be going to nag sports for the purpose of complying with Title IX, so say good bye to any men's sports outside of hockey and basketball with a reduction of football scholarships down to somewhere around 60 so they aren't under as much pressure to fund useless nag sports.

So why would anyone travel more than 30 minutes to see a minor league team that doesn't care about their product. If you thought Alumni was half empty now, wait until you lose any marquee name from the schedule. BC is in a weird spot. You lose football, you lose an identity and you lose lots of donations. I dont think I have been on campus in 20 years except for a football game and that isnt going to change, especially after they embarrass themselves by losing a place at the college football table.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:52 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:So why would anyone travel more than 30 minutes to see a minor league team that doesn't care about their product. If you thought Alumni was half empty now, wait until you lose any marquee name from the schedule. BC is in a weird spot. You lose football, you lose an identity and you lose lots of donations. I dont think I have been on campus in 20 years except for a football game and that isnt going to change, especially after they embarrass themselves by losing a place at the college football table.

We never had a place to lose. Wake is the one who should be freaking out over this. They at least have performed at elite levels and they have zero shot. Plenty of schools like Oregon have invested richly keeping up with the SEC and are currently sitting on the outside as well.

There have always been semi-pro athletics. However, they were mixed-in different affiliations to allow the academic schools to pretend they are serious about sports and to let the athletic schools pretend they are serious about academics. It was a symbiotic relationship that worked well for decades, And, it greatly expanded the customer base to bring in alums and local of 85 different locales. This is the only reason why hedge fund Duke alums have a passing interest in the Bama-Clemson-OSU annual playoff. The whole machine greatly enriched the athletic-only schools. But... stupid as stupid does. They are now looking to consolidate with the mistaken belief that the viewership won't shrink when you expel 50% of the customers and shut out most media markets (in favor of 3 teams in Indiana, 2 in Mississippi and 2 in Alabama, a random outpost 3000 miles away (in a media market that has a TRE-like hatred of Sports) and the belief that Rutgers can carry every viewer on the Eastern Seaboard). Good luck to all the DOCTOR Krafts and UNC Wilmington alums running companies being acquired by wannabe-SPACs.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:58 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

and/or will get to the point that these universities no longer want to be a part of it.

i could also see tcu tearing down their current monstrosity and building something that meets the new capacity requirements. lots of money in ft. worth to help that to happen... and not just from mysterious strangers. then again, the horny toads have a bc level of apathy for their sports teams so, maybe not

Also, my guess is that there will definitely be a bunch of schools chucked out of the Big 10 and a couple will be given their walking papers by the SEC as well when the numbers crunch of letting in Texas, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, USC, UCLA, FSU, U-Dub, UNC, Clemson. We, and the rest of the dregs--unless we are rescued because some marketing idiot decides we are necessary for the Boston market and they can squeeze enough extra TV money as a result to cover our costs--will sink towards some 1AA hybrid. The worst part of this will be that we will end up playing UCONN on the regular because with slashed revenues we will be even more cost conscious in an effort to keep the program profitable. Of course, the program's margins are going to be much tighter and what profits it does make will be going to nag sports for the purpose of complying with Title IX, so say good bye to any men's sports outside of hockey and basketball with a reduction of football scholarships down to somewhere around 60 so they aren't under as much pressure to fund useless nag sports.

So why would anyone travel more than 30 minutes to see a minor league team that doesn't care about their product. If you thought Alumni was half empty now, wait until you lose any marquee name from the schedule. BC is in a weird spot. You lose football, you lose an identity and you lose lots of donations. I dont think I have been on campus in 20 years except for a football game and that isnt going to change, especially after they embarrass themselves by losing a place at the college football table.

A lot of people won't, but that will not be the business model they are operating under. Most of the high end 1AA programs make money (Delaware, Villanova, JMU before they jumped to the Sunbelt, Richmond, etc.). Now, they don't make much money, but if they can get 15K to show up for a game, the program can sustain itself and when they draw 30K for a "big game" like JMU-Richmond, Delaware-Villanova, etc., with concessions they do well enough to fund a few nag sport scholies. Neither you nor I will show up for it, but when BC is playing its new bitter rivals of UCONN, UMASS, New Hampshire, its reconstituted bitter rivalry with Holy Cross and its showdown with Villanova and Georgetown (Playing for the Iron Major Cup!), there will be enough local yokels who will show up to get the gate to 20k. The irony is that BC football will become the apple picking substitute for the Baby Rapist programs that becomes bottom feeders in the Minor League NFL. For instance, you are a Michigan grad living in Wellesley. The Wolverines are 1-5 and staring down the barrel of an absolute throttling at the hands of Georgia. Are you going to sit home and watch that? Its a beautiful New England fall Saturday and the wife wants you to pile your three rug rats into the car for some apple picking, but you hate apple picking. Walking around some orchard outside of 495 bores you to tears and the apples end up getting wasted so why bother? BC is 5-0 and they have a big match up against Villanova at Alumni. For a cheap parking fee and $10 a ticket you can roll right onto campus which has ample parking for the downgraded football program and spend a sunny afternoon watching some football and relaxing while your kids run around the half empty stadium whooping it up in a family friendly atmosphere. They can even play in the bounce houses and playground that BC has been able to build inside the cavernous Alumni complex. You can even get a beer at the concession stand. Much better than watching the Wolverines get destroyed as a perennial bottom feeder with no shot of winning the Saban Trophy.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:04 pm

for the record, i don't hate sports. the meme is that i don't even like sports... so it's more of a disinterest than a hatred
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:07 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

yeah, but the money spends. "oh, so i have to go 0 - 12 every year but you'll pay me $300m a year to do it? ... well then spank my ass and call me goose egg. i've got dr martha blyhope's number on speed dial"

my guess is the league builds some "minimum capacity stadium" clause into it's requirements and those that can't meet it are KICKED OUT!!!! i would guess there will be defined language that it has to be a designated stadium and soldier field/nissan stadium don't count. without something like that added to the charter, i could see it being very cost prohibitive to have to pay vandy and nw to go away (pack yer bags)

if you make it 60k then based on current stadium size you lose not only vandy and nw, but also rutgres, maryland, indiana, and minnesota (and you'd have to buy 1,500 confederate flagged folding chairs for ol' miss). i can see the baby rapist being okay with all of those falling by the wayside in favor of the clemson, fsu, domers, byu, wvu, washington, and even unc (ha!) or uva (HA!!!!)

There are enough TCU alums in Westover Hills to ensure that TCU meets whatever standards they need to meet from a program infrastructure standpoint, and even if the fan base is apathetic the Charlie Basses of the world will pony up just so they can laugh at their SMU chums over cocktails at the Shady Oaks grill room.

The NCAA (not television, not the conferences, and not the baby rapist schools) set the ground rules for athletic scholarships. If BC is to remain FBS (and not drop down to FCS) they must maintain exactly 85 full scholarships, no more, no less. And the federal government mandated (by early 1970s feminist inspired regulation like Title IX) all 85 must be "equalized" with 85, bullshit, girl athletic scholarships for sports that make no money that no one will watch. This allows the Aunt Beckys of the world to keep their low IQ Olivia Jade out of community college where she sits next to the pizza boy and gets pregnant and sends her to USC to "row crew" and no one notices other than the head coach who pockets a $100,000 check signed by Aunt Becky.

No matter what happens when all the baby rapists "get together", I don't see the ACC, the Big-XII, or the PAC-(whatever) dropping down from FBS to FCS. I don't think that ever happens. FCS is a joke, not to be taken as serious division-1 college football. And Oregon and U-of-A and TCU and Texas Tech and Kansas and Baylor (two schools who won the last two men's national hoops championship) have PRIDE and they are not going to "tear-down-football" simply because they no longer have a seat at the big boys table. These are still serious athletic universities. This stings like a mother fucker but this pain has been felt by other serious athletic universities for decades. They need only talk to the athletic administrators at Boise State, Cincinnati, and BYU for 5 minutes to know how that feels (after years of being thought as second best.)
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:14 pm

What if the have-nots just said we are not going to schedule the SEC and BIG. Would alumni continue to support their own schools and ignore the NFL minors? They would have to give up money, but by making it a different league a lot of people will just follow their own team/league. Also, in Dick's scenario how long until Michigan fans want to jump ship after a decade of 6-6 seasons and no shot at a title.

I cant remember the last non-ACC game I have watched.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:29 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:What if the have-nots just said we are not going to schedule the SEC and BIG. Would alumni continue to support their own schools and ignore the NFL minors? They would have to give up money, but by making it a different league a lot of people will just follow their own team/league. Also, in Dick's scenario how long until Michigan fans want to jump ship after a decade of 6-6 seasons and no shot at a title.

Well, I don't think it is the conferences who decides for the schools within said conference who each school will schedule "OOC." I think each school determines that. And if Ohio State presents BC a $2,000,000 check and says

you will play at the horseshoe. We will never play at Chestnut Hill. Take it or leave it

I think BC is going to take it. So would any of them. That said, I see no reason why the ACC, the Big-XII, and the PAC-(whatever) commissioner can't insist on a NEW contract that could dictate to schools (that choose to remain in the conference) that they are to EXCLUDE the B1G-T(16)N and the SEC from their scheduling. I suppose that could happen. Duchie you are the lawyer, you could write that contract.

Your other question, will the alumni continue to donate? I don't know? Would YOU continue to donate of they did? Harvard hasn't played a real university in football for several decades and look at their alumni donations and endowment.

Michigan fans aren't going to "jump ship" after continuous 6-6. If so, they would have jumped ship at any time since 1997. They just waited (in this last case, 25 years) to matter. And they finally mattered this year. It may take another 25 years to matter AGAIN but all 106,000 seats in the Big House will be occupied for every game against every baby rapist that enters it for another 25 years. IMHO.

Its just a different lifestyle that affects your entire life and all the money you spend for entertainment. If you go to Michigan, you marry a girl from Michigan, and the two of you go to every game at Michigan all your marriage (if you can get a ticket) and in your 50s, you get the 5th-wheel/RV and you go to tailgate at every game. And then you die. Same goes for pretty much every other alum at all the other baby rapist schools. BC alumni aren't likely to do all that.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:31 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:And yeah, ND is going to the Big 10—USC and UCLA joining goes a long way to addressing ND’s concerns of losing their national brand. .

True, but it also reduces their bargaining power with the Big Whatever.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:46 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:And yeah, ND is going to the Big 10—USC and UCLA joining goes a long way to addressing ND’s concerns of losing their national brand. .

I actually believe that Notre Dame WOULD join the B1G-T(16)N or SEC if the $$$$$ they get (their baby rapist share) is LARGER than what they could ever personally negotiate with NBC as an independent. Lets see if they are willing to make the move if part of that inclusion means that they are no longer allowed to play NAVY OOC?

As it is right now, both conferences are at 16. If they stay at 16 (less slices of the possible $300,000,000 annual "pie"), then need to start culling the lesser schools to make room for Notre Dame, F$U, Clemson, VPI, or Oregon. If that is the case, bye bye Vandy, bye bye Louisville, bye bye Northwestern, and bye bye Rutgers.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:56 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:What if the have-nots just said we are not going to schedule the SEC and BIG. Would alumni continue to support their own schools and ignore the NFL minors? They would have to give up money, but by making it a different league a lot of people will just follow their own team/league. Also, in Dick's scenario how long until Michigan fans want to jump ship after a decade of 6-6 seasons and no shot at a title.

That is precisely what I have been saying. The math doesn't work. You will care even less about B10/SEC games than you do now. You only care now because a loss by OSU or Bama could open a spot for a conference-mate.

The other schools will have strength in numbers... will have the major markets outside of the South... and would likely fall back into a world that (a) plays in bowls, (b) doesn't play players and (c) doesn't allow transfers out. What these schools won't have is a playoff system and unionized athletes. The ballsy move is for the non-32 to force the B10 and SEC to leave the NCAA. Essentially pass rules that are opposed to what those conferences are doing. Max out games in a year (including post-season) to 13. The last thing you do is what has been happening to date... bending over backwards accommodating them. Just have them run off into whatever XFL set-up they feel comfortable in.
Last edited by HJS on Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:00 pm

The only thing keeping the Haves from a true breakaway from the NCAA and kicking out the Rutgers and Miss States, is that they need someone to pad their win totals. They need a Washington Generals. None of these programs are mentally ready for NFL style records where some big name is going to lose ten games.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:06 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

There are already rumblings about how difficult it is to add more schools (even good ones like FSU and ND) and make their financial presence impactful when split among the 16+ other mouths. The Temple-ing of shitty, underproducing schools is certainly not beyond scope for organizations that are SOLELY about operating a minor league circuit.

I don't think Vandy or NW would be terribly busted-up about being kicked out. But, they certainly wouldn't leave preemptively. They would first want to negotiate some sort of St. Louis Spirit-like settlement (where they make something like 1/20th the conference's TV revenue in perpetuity).

If BC had a magic wand, they would want to be in a conference with WF, Duke, GT, Vandy, NW, ND, UNC, UVA, SU, MIA, Stan, Cal. BC would have no problem being in a Ivyish conference. Especially... since the next step for the SEC-B10 is going to be salaries negotiated by unions (and no meaningful academic requirements/deliverables). Leahy's move to the ACC was all about admissions having access to the growing populations of this country and affiliating with better academic institutions. BC has no interest in being Pawtucket.

Worcester. Which illustrates the point nicely.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:16 pm

Also, no space find a trial. You're becoming prolific in a thread I want to read and scrolling past your utterly incorrect but adamant drivel is too difficult on a phone.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:19 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:

Well, I don't think it is the conferences who decides for the schools within said conference who each school will schedule "OOC." I think each school determines that. And if Ohio State presents BC a $2,000,000 check and says

you will play at the horseshoe. We will never play at Chestnut Hill. Take it or leave it

I think BC is going to take it. So would any of them. That said, I see no reason why the ACC, the Big-XII, and the PAC-(whatever) commissioner can't insist on a NEW contract that could dictate to schools (that choose to remain in the conference) that they are to EXCLUDE the B1G-T(16)N and the SEC from their scheduling. I suppose that could happen. Duchie you are the lawyer, you could write that contract.

Your other question, will the alumni continue to donate? I don't know? Would YOU continue to donate of they did? Harvard hasn't played a real university in football for several decades and look at their alumni donations and endowment.

Michigan fans aren't going to "jump ship" after continuous 6-6. If so, they would have jumped ship at any time since 1997. They just waited (in this last case, 25 years) to matter. And they finally mattered this year. It may take another 25 years to matter AGAIN but all 106,000 seats in the Big House will be occupied for every game against every baby rapist that enters it for another 25 years. IMHO.

Its just a different lifestyle that affects your entire life and all the money you spend for entertainment. If you go to Michigan, you marry a girl from Michigan, and the two of you go to every game at Michigan all your marriage (if you can get a ticket) and in your 50s, you get the 5th-wheel/RV and you go to tailgate at every game. And then you die. Same goes for pretty much every other alum at all the other baby rapist schools. BC alumni aren't likely to do all that.

players can now be paid hence, rules change. stop using your feeble minded 3rd rate night school education to try to limit the future to what was allowed in the past and the present. the rest of the grownups that are here having an intelligent conversation about the potential future of college football (not what we know it as today) realize that the future crops to rise from this field will be a different generation/hybrid/new species than what we have today. you have proven too stupid to realize this time and again so maybe you should just sit a few plays out, champ

and stop suggesting that nebraska, vteck, or kansas/baylor in a football capacity matter to anyone anywhere other than the loser footprint that supports them. this is not a discussion of basketball or hockey or running in circles or rolling around with other dudes in tights - this is football and football only. face facts that the f-league is coming and it will not be glorious. it will be crooked, it will be lopsided, it will not be interesting, and outside of the mouthbreathing locals that still pull for a team that plays in the area of the world they live/grew up in (because most of them are not graduates of the university) - no one will give a flying fuck about it. case in point - who won the usfl championship of the universe for the 2022 season? exactly - and that was just last weekend. the same way no one will care that college station beat columbus, oh in the f-league championship of 2036
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:26 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Also, no space find a trial. You're becoming prolific in a thread I want to read and scrolling past your utterly incorrect but adamant drivel is too difficult on a phone.

The "Add foe" button:
Learn it
Know it
Live it
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:57 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Also, no space find a trial. You're becoming prolific in a thread I want to read and scrolling past your utterly incorrect but adamant drivel is too difficult on a phone.

use your laptop, counsellor
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:59 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:

players can now be paid hence, rules change. stop using your feeble minded 3rd rate night school education to try to limit the future to what was allowed in the past and the present. the rest of the grownups that are here having an intelligent conversation about the potential future of college football (not what we know it as today) realize that the future crops to rise from this field will be a different generation/hybrid/new species than what we have today. you have proven too stupid to realize this time and again so maybe you should just sit a few plays out, champ

:shrug

ok

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:and stop suggesting that nebraska, vteck, or kansas/baylor in a football capacity matter to anyone anywhere other than the loser footprint that supports them. this is not a discussion of basketball or hockey or running in circles or rolling around with other dudes in tights - this is football and football only. face facts that the f-league is coming and it will not be glorious. it will be crooked, it will be lopsided, it will not be interesting, and outside of the mouthbreathing locals that still pull for a team that plays in the area of the world they live/grew up in (because most of them are not graduates of the university) - no one will give a flying fuck about it. case in point - who won the usfl championship of the universe for the 2022 season? exactly - and that was just last weekend. the same way no one will care that college station beat columbus, oh in the f-league championship of 2036

Yes, its coming. We shall see if it is glorious or not.

Okay, I'll sit out.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby TheGuyWhoSaysPenis on Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:17 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

The "Add foe" button:
Learn it
Know it
Live it

Penis
TheGuyWhoSaysPenis
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:00 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

The "Add foe" button:
Learn it
Know it
Live it

Sometimes I like to read his Mary Ann's posts. Infrequently.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:20 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

That is precisely what I have been saying. The math doesn't work. You will care even less about B10/SEC games than you do now. You only care now because a loss by OSU or Bama could open a spot for a conference-mate.

The other schools will have strength in numbers... will have the major markets outside of the South... and would likely fall back into a world that (a) plays in bowls, (b) doesn't play players and (c) doesn't allow transfers out. What these schools won't have is a playoff system and unionized athletes. The ballsy move is for the non-32 to force the B10 and SEC to leave the NCAA. Essentially pass rules that are opposed to what those conferences are doing. Max out games in a year (including post-season) to 13. The last thing you do is what has been happening to date... bending over backwards accommodating them. Just have them run off into whatever XFL set-up they feel comfortable in.

IB's stupid is hurting my head to the point that The Guy Who Says Penis makes a more cogent and sentient argument. Also, the whole point of the exercise the Big 10 and SEC are going through is to exit the NCAA and to play in a self contained league. That is where the TV dollars will be. BC will not be playing the Baby Rapists and the Baby Rapists won't be playing BC and the Left Behinds unless they get let into the club. What you will see over the next couple of years is the Big 10 and SEC figure out who will be coming with them in the new system for the purpose of putting together the most attractive television package possible. Schools like Northwestern, Iowa, Vandy, Purdue, Arkansas, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Rutgers, and quite possibly Nebraska, will be jettisoned for being mediocre and/or more importantly, doing nothing with respect to media markets. The two super conferences will want to have a foothold in the 25 largest media markets with as little redundancy as they can get away with and without provoking the political powers that be who might be inclined to crush a state school deal that leaves the red-headed stepchild school out of the loop (why Michigan State gets to survive). Schools that are currently outside looking in, but who would probably get a shot because of TV would include Stanford/Cal (San Fran-Oak-SJ #6 market), ASU (Phoenix #3), Syracuse (NY #1), BC (Boston #10), U-Dub (Seattle #12), Miami (Miami #18), FSU (could plug into 4 different FL media markets, probably necessary add to reach proper saturation levels in those markets), TCU (DFW #5, but probably unnecessary with UT and A&M already on board), Oregon (Portland #21), One of two of the following to cover Charlotte (#22) and Raleigh-Durham (#24) UNC, NC State, Clemson.

A few schools currently in, who at first glance you'd think would be on the block but who probably survive because of media markets are Minnesota (M-SP #14), Mizzou (STL #23 and KC #34), Maryland (DC #10 and Baltimore #28).

A few schools who bring no decent media markets but make it in on brand name and the ability to help draw across media markets--Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Oklahoma.

A couple of interesting calls: Kentucky/Louisville. No media market of note and not great football tradition. UVA/VA Tech. Maryland is much bigger in the DC market and they might be left out if the super conference number crunchers figure Maryland, coupled with ND, Michigan, PSU and UNC gives them a big enough presence in DC that there is no reason to let them in under the rope.

And then there is Notre Dame who dominates the #1 and #3 media markets and brings in extremely strong numbers whenever it plays across the #2, #4, #5, #6, #9 and #10 markets. They are the ultimate prize and add enormous value to the TV package.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:08 pm

gamecocks would be enough to capture charlotte, but if you wanted an nc school to include unc would be head and shoulders above rcc. the clemson should be included under the bama, lsu, auburn, oklahoma amendment.

i'd posit that boston doesn't give a shit about college football - and if they do it's one of the teams included in the f-league 32 already (mostly domer, but smatterings of others like ped state, michigan, etc.) so there is no lift there for bc most likely

as you noted earlier, tcu would be a push and not a pull. dfw is split between tu and aTm with the minority split among smu, tcu, raider rash, and baylor and i would guess that historical tv ratings would support that. texan's love the bc patented kick in the balls as evidenced by their continued proclamation that this is the year that the u of mcconaughey "is back." i would also put oregon and their nike money in the same situation but not for rival football programs as much as peaceful protests, rallys, and food processed hops plants presented as beer.
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:29 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

another pressure on ND is that other than USC, will any of these super conference teams want to do a home & home with ND? If they play a 7 game conf schedule against very good teams and every other year only 3 home games, they are going to want the other 4 games to be filled with home games where they pay UMass type teams $1m to serve as canon fodder.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:26 pm

I agree with Dick that the failed jocks taking advice from call-in sport radio want to accomplish what he lays out. I think that they will (a) struggle to shed crap programs and (b) even if they accomplished their dreamed-of USFL, it would suck and no one would care.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:13 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

another pressure on ND is that other than USC, will any of these super conference teams want to do a home & home with ND? If they play a 7 game conf schedule against very good teams and every other year only 3 home games, they are going to want the other 4 games to be filled with home games where they pay UMass type teams $1m to serve as canon fodder.

I don't know if there will be cupcakes other than the shitty teams that are already in. TV is going to dictate a lot of this and they don't want to pay for ND-Ball State etc.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:34 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I agree with Dick that the failed jocks taking advice from call-in sport radio want to accomplish what he lays out. I think that they will (a) struggle to shed crap programs and (b) even if they accomplished their dreamed-of USFL, it would suck and no one would care.

I think they will get there. I also think that once they get there they will have a very good opening year. After that, I think it will be diminishing returns as the novelty wears off and fans of the left behinds drift away or actively tune out and the lack of that certain je ne sais quoi that makes college football special disappears or dissipates. The Baby Rapists will make a lot of money over the course of the initial television contract and Fox or ESPN or Amazon or whoever pays them a few billion a year for the rights will ultimately take a bath, but when the contract/party ends, the product is going to be in shambles and the second contract, if there is one, is going to be NHL-type money and NHL-type ratings.

The model itself is going to be really interesting to behold. Is there a high school draft? Do these professional players who are unlikely to be actually pursuing degrees run out of eligibility? Even in the baby rapist model the vast majority of players are not going to make the NFL. Do these kids get flushed out after four or five years to control costs (a proven senior who is a really good college player but a dubious pro is going to make more money than a decent sophomore. What happens if the good senior decides to stick around? Do you follow the CHL model and say you are gone at a certain age? Do you set it up like the AHL where each team can keep a certain number of players over 24 or 25 years of age, but most have to be 18-23? What about salaries? Is there a cap? Also, who gets the money? With the private schools the answer is obvious, but what about the public schools? Aren’t the political types and tax payers going to demand a cut? The thing is, I don’t think the Failed Jocks with PHDs behind this project have thought any of this out, so they are going to spend the next two years trying to back their way into this with hilarious results.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:35 pm

So ESPN and the ACC are going to loosely swallow the remaining Pac 12 teams. It is a bandaid in my opinion. ESPN just wants to box out Fox and Amazon. No way they are going to pay ACC teams Big Ten money to lock in Washington St and Utah for a decade.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:32 am

No idea how real that rumor is. But, it really just seems to be repurposed from a previous pre-ACC Network proposal that envisioned massive content from the two conferences that could stream 12-hours a day of live games. That said, it seems what is old is new again. Remember that the pre-Rutgers/Maryland acquisition, the Big Ten tried to take USC, UCLA, Texas and Oklahoma. That is what prompted ESPN to keep the Big12 together by delivering Longhorn Network.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:45 am

Too big to cut and paste but an long breakdown of every team for ACC and PAC12 for moving.

https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/lists/ ... ry-school/

Basically says BC is staying put but has a 10% chance of getting into Big 10.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:49 am

Would Leahy change his mind on investing in football if ACC distribution was based on performance on the field?
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:24 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

I don't know if there will be cupcakes other than the shitty teams that are already in. TV is going to dictate a lot of this and they don't want to pay for ND-Ball State etc.

So what would happen to the Cupcakes if they don't get their $ from getting prison raped twice a year?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium